Stressed out looking for house, contemplating new Persimmon house with issues..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
To be fair Council estates were that back in the day,a whole large area of council homes.

Now we have small areas of social housing stuck in the middle of large private housing developments.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Not just developments. Round here we have a mix of council houses and privately owned former council houses. I like a mixed area, I think it's healthy, and this certainly is mixed in every respect you can think of.

Housing is what the people make it.

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
We bought on brackenleigh. We were promised a road and through access within a year. And that the building works would be finished within 2. It's 21/2 years now and we only have half the road laid, it's only open from one end and they're building more houses than were on any plan we saw.
I think the Esk houses at suttle gardens look a lot better, but it's too early to say how many will have the issues we've had.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been working in South Korea with limited internet. I looked at houses on Brackenleigh, nearly bought a detached house there. The poor parking put me off though. I've ended up buying an eighties semi on the west side of the city. I know they are good houses as it is built by the same builders that built the house I live in now. It needs a new kitchen and it has a back boiler that I will probably replace. Even so it, bringing the property up to scratch, it will cost similar to a new Persimmon semi, but has lots of land and a garage. Thanks for the advice though everybody, I'm pleased buying an older house to be honest..

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been working in South Korea with limited internet. I looked at houses on Brackenleigh, nearly bought a detached house there. The poor parking put me off though. I've ended up buying an eighties semi on the west side of the city. I know they are good houses as it is built by the same builders that built the house I live in now. It needs a new kitchen and it has a back boiler that I will probably replace. Even so it, bringing the property up to scratch, it will cost similar to a new Persimmon semi, but has lots of land and a garage. Thanks for the advice though everybody, I'm pleased buying an older house to be honest..

Well done that man, its the right age to modernise, and make it your home.

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5258028, member: 45"]Applications for new estates aren't accepted unless they meet a minimum number of properties per unit area. It's planning that insists on the density, but of course the developers aren't going to complain.[/QUOTE]
A few years ago we went to look at Persimmon houses on a new estate.
Went round a 3 bed detatched which at first seemed nice.
Then we realised.......all the furniture eg the suite were "undersized". AND there was absolutely no place for a tv. When I mentioned that to the sales person she said......"oh, you would hang it on the wall over the fire".
AND.......the lounge, dining area and kitchen were all, in effect, one big room with no door or divider.
Needless to say we didnt buy one.

Last edited:

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm pleased you've found a place you like. I kind of wish we'd looked about a bit more, but we really needed the help to buy scheme in order to buy so our choice was limited from the start.
The parking isn't a problem for us - we have one car and it fits on the drive, but other people's parking! WHOLE other thread!!!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
DON'T DO IT !

Persimmon are currently under investigation for failing to put in adequate fire safety in the roof of a house near us which caught fire. It was less than 13mths old and as a result every house on the estate had to be checked. Loads of faults were found with the buildings as well as the safety aspect.

Rocky

Hello decadence
DON'T DO IT !

Persimmon are currently under investigation for failing to put in adequate fire safety in the roof of a house near us which caught fire. It was less than 13mths old and as a result every house on the estate had to be checked. Loads of faults were found with the buildings as well as the safety aspect.
Imagine if Vernon had lived there with his blow torches and rockets........a whole estate could have gone up in flames.

classic33

Leg End Member
DON'T DO IT !

Thread is from 2018.

Top Bottom