Stressed out looking for house, contemplating new Persimmon house with issues..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I sold my house a month ago and I'm having no luck whatsoever finding a house. I am tempted to rent as I feel under real pressure, well time has really ran out now I think.

I saw a new house built by Persimmon, I really liked the location, the house was ok, fairly small but that didn't bother me. The house is rendered, I noticed one small fairly deep crack on the front of the house. On closer inspection on the gable end of the house I noticed about 4 small render cracks about 1mm wide, running from the central expansion joint right to the edge of the house in either direction. I was told that this was just settlement and would be repaired. I couldn't see any cracks on any of the nearby houses which mainly have people living in them now. The saleswoman said these would be repaired and are nothing to worry about.

This was a couple of weeks ago and I decided to leave it, mainly because I don't believe a word sales people say, Persimmon have a terrible reputation, so buying a house with already inherent problems was off-putting. As this house was already fully built it included turfed garden, fencing, and fully carpeted. There were two other similar houses nearly built, but I was told if I went for one of these they wouldn't have these extras as they were not completed or some other crap. This would add an extra 3K to the purchase price. Because I still had a couple of weeks to find a house according to the conveyancing solicitor I derided to leave it and voiced my concerns. I drove past the house recently and they have made no effort to repair it at all, seems really sloppy to me when trying to sell a house.

Now my time is more or less up, and I feel it is either buy this house, rent one, or live with my mother (which I don't think I can handle). Also my mother lives where I currently live which is 40 miles away from work, I'm completely fed up of the commute, hence why I decided to move. The cost of commuting is not an issue as I have a company car with fuel benefit. Or I could pay an extra 3K for another new house that the rendering is not complete, that may be as shoddy as the one in question when completed. I expected modern render to be have more give than old sand and mortar based one. I'm just really wary of buying a house already with issues, listening to a saleswoman whom probably hasn't a clue about building, that is only concerned with making a sale.

I really like where this house is, its a good deal, but I'm kind of thinking I would be better off renting. Sure its wasted money, but the pressure is off. Just wondered if anybody has any suggestions around render cracks, or have dealt with Persimmon at all?

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it @Sandra6 who’s having a nightmare with Persimmon?

Yes....
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-build-no-insulation.228699/

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

I've had three houses, there's nothing fun about buying a house.

I've only ever had one house, the estate agents were utter tw*** when I bought it. I kind of hoped it would be more enjoyable 22 years down the line. I think I've watched too much smug Kirsty & Phill and that other upper middle classed tw*t Sarah Beanie or whatever, I thought it would be fun, TV obviously lies, I honestly thought it was a charming experience after watching all that quality television....

I don't envy your position. I used to work for a company that supplied a few new build customers. They certainly don't like paying for things, and loved to play the big bully company game. Also everything they ordered was cheap bargain basement.

I was cruel enough to smile when the markets crashed and they couldn't get credit to buy a single brick.

In the end they're supplying a product and they should do the job right, and remedy the faults.

Kajjal

Guru
One thing with new builds is your solicitor can potentially withhold part of the payment until agreed issues are fixed. Just need to confirm with your solicitor first and have a very clear idea what issues need to be resolved. That being said don’t by a house with serious issues from a company with a poor reputation.

Our new build was fine in part due to constant pressure I put them under to get everything right. Not a pleasant experience but saved any problems in the future.

alicat

Legendary Member
In your shoes, I'd rent for a while. When you are in the right location all week you will have more opportunity to visit houses. There must be something better than a new house that already has issues (worst of both worlds imho).

winjim

Smash the cistern
We rented for a year between selling and buying our house, and it was a perfect situation for us. It got us out of the chain and removed one layer of stress, gave us time to choose the right house, and allowed us to tell the sellers that if they accepted our offer and took the house off the market they'd get a hassle free quick sale. I think it put us in a really strong position and we were accepted on the first house we put an offer on. OK, you lose a year's worth of investment into the mortgage but that's no biggie given today's sums and timescales.

I also listened to a program on Radio 4 about new houses on new estates and the corners that were being cut to get them built. I can't remember if they were specifically talking about Persimmon but it certainly put me off. TBF we're more attracted to the established suburbs anyway.

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Thanks for the replies guys. I have seen houses and put offers in but got messed about by sellers. I have a feeling that this has been a great time of year to sell a house, but a really bad time to buy. Mainly because so many people are looking to move due to the start of decent weather. There is a lot of competition. I have a feeling if I rented, bought at a different time of year I would possibly get a better deal.

But you are all correct, buying a Persimmon house with known issues is completely insane. I just needed reminded of that, thanks.

postman

Legendary Member
Most new houses,small tiny rooms,third bedroom size of a matchbox,postage size garden toy sized garage,only thing big large enormous is the price.How do i know i went looking at an estate near us a few years back,i went inside one,weird shaped main room long and narrow.Buy an older house and extend when you can afford it,that's if you need to.We put on a kitchen extension and a dormer bedroom including toilet and shower and hand basin and it's big.

Top Bottom