Stressed out looking for house, contemplating new Persimmon house with issues..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
It's certainly a problem here.
I think realistically the whole estate needs nocking down and start again. There pretty ropy.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/118783724#/?channel=RES_BUY

That's very expensive for a nackered damp house. The pictures are nothing like what is there.
I don't know what house prices are generally like in your area, but that does seem expensive for what it is, when even in estate agent-speak it says " The property is now in need of some modernisation and TLC."

And I have to say, even at first glance, that doesn't look like decent quality builds.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
I don't know what house prices are generally like in your area, but that does seem expensive for what it is, when even in estate agent-speak it says " The property is now in need of some modernisation and TLC."

And I have to say, even at first glance, that doesn't look like decent quality builds.
It's junk .

Still cheap tho for here. Where I live you wouldn't even get a rough one bed flat for that.

I can't see anyone that's other then desperate take that on but I'm sure it will sell.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yep. End of life building...

Our last house was a Victorian three up two down with a 1970's built single story extension on the back to give it a decent kitchen and bathroom, when I redecorated I found that I had to treat the extension for damp but the Victorian main part of the house was bone dry.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Our last house was a Victorian three up two down with a 1970's built single story extension on the back to give it a decent kitchen and bathroom, when I redecorated I found that I had to treat the extension for damp but the Victorian main part of the house was bone dry.
Sure. That house I posted up for sale is absolutely nackered.
My house was built in 1958 and is probably the best I've had yet.
From stone cottages right through to timber frame new builds I don't think it's beaten.
Made from granite 6" block it's nigh on impossible to drill holes in it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I remember overhearing some bricklayers discussing various firms and their building standards. They were appalled at some of things which were allowed to pass muster in most of the firms they were working for on new build estates. Speed was everything and nothing else mattered so long as the house did not fall down too soon after completion.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Once, I had a holiday job on a building site and tactfully questioned an old hand about some of the building practices I had observed. 'Well,' he explained, 'it's the weight what holds it together, ain't it?' Caveat emptor!

Gunk

Guru

My first house back in 1985 was a Victorian terraced in Northampton. The rear addition decided that it wanted to move to end of the garden, a huge insurance claim and massive underpinning works sorted it out.

The are good and badly built houses in every decade, our current house was built in the mid 1980’s and is part of a small development that was a farm and barns, it’s a really well built house, only one stud wall in the whole house. However not usually a decade known for craftsmanship and quality.

Hicky

Guru
I wouldn't have a new build if you begged me, I'd go ex council in a shot. My cousin has a new build and it was riddled with problems over five years with constant haranguing of the developer to correct ongoing snags.
The land they're acquiring and building on is suspect at best even if its brownfield....if it's greenfield then the councils are eyeing up the extra revenue. Along with the fleecehold payments and maintenance payments with little in return!

Alex321

Veteran
I wouldn't have a new build if you begged me, I'd go ex council in a shot. My cousin has a new build and it was riddled with problems over five years with constant haranguing of the developer to correct ongoing snags.
The land they're acquiring and building on is suspect at best even if its brownfield....if it's greenfield then the councils are eyeing up the extra revenue. Along with the fleecehold payments and maintenance payments with little in return!
I don't think many new builds are leasehold.

byegad

Legendary Member
I don't think many new builds are leasehold.
Depends on your building firm I think. We are freehold, Gleesons 2016, my son who bought a new house off plan in 2017 from a different builder had it only as leasehold. At the second anniversary he was offered the freehold for £2k and took it like a shot. As he's getting married soon it's up for sale at a near 30% over the buying and freehold price combined.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Is that due to subsidence? :ohmy: Eek! Or just cr&p builders :rolleyes:

Sorry for the late reply. Just crap builders. If you notice the gap at the bottom with the skirting board, at the top the door frame is touching the wall. This equates to the door having slanted gaps. Type of thing you might expect in a really old house.

Top Bottom