Stretches: Warming up and cooling down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
HeyWayne said:
Being of lanky proportions I have had grief with my back for years - and had an op to correct three 'slipped discs'.

However, the back isn't the main culprit it would appear (discovered a couple of years ago). My hamstrings and thighs in general are very tight - something cycling won't help.

My osteopath recommended a book to me:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stretching-...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275395261&sr=8-2

And I have to say it's bladdy good - easy to follow and very explanatory.

Stretching is best done after exercise, but you still have to be careful. To stretch the outer thigh the best stretch I know is to lay on your back, pull your left knee up toward your right shoulder (vice versa for the other leg) until it feels tight. Hold for 20 seconds or so, and then push your knee towards the ceiling, but hold it tight with your hands. Repeat 4-5 times.

Or, another that stretches the same area. Again, laid on your back put your left ankle on top of your right knee (as if you are crossing your legs), then grab your right thigh and pull it up towards your chest. You should feel it pull on the outside of your thigh. Hold for 20 and then swap over. Repeat 4-5 times.

One thing that my osteo taught me was to ice after stretching. It kind of 'sets' the muscles in their stretched position.

Follow that?

Oh, and I haven't been back to see the osteopath in well over a year as a result. His words to me "If I do my job right, you won't need to see me again". Good man.

I dont know what icing or ice baths do, or if there is any proof for it being beneficial. But I run cold water on my legs follwing running or intense cycling for 5-10 mins before turning the water temperature up and showering using warm water. I have found I have less aches since I started doing this, but maybe that comes from improved fitness and recovery.

I started doing it after watching the Eddie Izzard program where he ran all the marathons, out of curiosity.

HeyWayne

Rob3rt said:
I dont know what icing or ice baths do, or if there is any proof for it being beneficial. But I run cold water on my legs follwing running or intense cycling for 5-10 mins before turning the water temperature up and showering using warm water. I have found I have less aches since I started doing this, but maybe that comes from improved fitness and recovery.

I started doing it after watching the Eddie Izzard program where he ran all the marathons, out of curiosity.

I believe (and this is going from memory of what my osteo dude told me) it has something to do with the dilation (or the opposite) of blood vessels and restricting blood flow. As you cool it down the blood vessels restrict the amount of blood to the area and 'numb' it. It also, as I said before kind of 'sets' the muscles/tissue in their stretched state.

I think the aching is something to do with muscles 'rebuilding' after a workout.

I could of course also be talking utter bullocks...

lukesdad

HeyWayne said:
I believe (and this is going from memory of what my osteo dude told me) it has something to do with the dilation (or the opposite) of blood vessels and restricting blood flow. As you cool it down the blood vessels restrict the amount of blood to the area and 'numb' it. It also, as I said before kind of 'sets' the muscles/tissue in their stretched state.

I think the aching is something to do with muscles 'rebuilding' after a workout.

I could of course also be talking utter bullocks...
A good pair of compression tights do the same thing, with alot less bother.

Top Bottom