1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strewth it is chilly out there!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Jacomus-rides-Gen, 11 Dec 2007.

1. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

Just nipped out for a quick 20mins circling uni to clear my head and whoa is it cold!

My trusty Altura softshell jacket kept my torso warm, but my jeans were letting some windage though them! My fingers turned to ice in about 2 mins flat.

Was really nice to be out, everything still and calm, just whooshing along in the sodium glow of the streetlights. Being very cold added to it I think, as it gave me a sense of cycling in a bubble of warmth once I'd put a little heat into myself. The roads were dry too, so I didn't have ice to worry about.

If anyone has the chance to nip out for a little 20minute jaunt, it is lovely and refreshing.

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Went out in the car at around 7pm and it said 2oC on the thermometer.

3. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

I went out for a run and once I'd warmed up, it was brilliant. It's very Christmassy.

4. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

I had a short cycle home from work at around 1915, it was flippin' freezing on my exposed face and ears but the rest of me was toasty. Puddles were frozen solid though so a little care was required.
    I agree, nice atmosphere being out in these conditions.

5. Yeah, bad winter that year.

6. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Try Scotland - snow last saturday, ice on the roads and pavements, wind so cold it doesn't blow through you, it physically assaults you...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

Did you get many white feathers through the post?

8. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Nah, you're alright thanks! ;)

9. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

I had to walk about 1/2 a mile this morning as the road was a sheet of ice! May have to risk the main road tomorrow.

10. barq

barq Senior Member

Yeah I went out for just under an hour this evening. Off-road on the top of the North Downs it is freezing nicely. But I'm not complaining because I came back a lot less muddy than on Sunday.

God bless my Lusso Repel tights and Lupine lights. ;)

11. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

Ooh yeah, gave the Ayups their first airing tonight! I was stopped behind a car at the lights and I'm sure that I could actually see through the metal of his car they were so bright!

12. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

I'm actually frightened of commuting tomorrow. I hate ice....;):tongue::biggrin:

13. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I saw ice on the lanes around mid day today...in the shadows ...dam dangerous.

14. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

BTFB

you have info on your Amsterdam thread.

15. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

No choice when commuting. Couldn't find my riding gloves this morning (think I left them in a pub somewhere), so improvised with:

-on my right hand, an ancient woolly glove I found at the top of the cupboard
    -on my left hand, a leg warmer, that kept on getting dangling and trapped in the brake shifters