Strines ride (just outside Peaks) Sheffield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
People are welcome to meet up further north near Hillsborough Park, SWFC/Malin Bridge. However, unlike other cities Sheffield doesn't have any urban motorway and the M1 circles the city from the east, so it doesn't get you anywhere nearer a motorway. I have to cycle past Sheffield Railway station anyway so if anybody does get the train - Dan Bo, Soltydog etc I will be able to meet up.

redjedi

Über Member
Mike e told me about this one yesterday, and it seems only fair to do make a little jaunt oop north for a ride.

This could coincide quite nicely with a trip across to Lincoln to visit my Mum and grandparents, who I've promised to go and see sooner rather than later.

So if there's room in 'teefs van for one more, I could come up with the other southern pansies, then train it across to Lincoln afterwards.

Just looked at the route, and it look like a charming little ride around the coutryside ..... :ohmy: (note to self, never click on elevation details)

I may need a larger cassette or a compact chainset for this one.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
I've just looked at the elevation profile, and it's finally prompted me to order that that megarange freehub I've been meaning to get for a while. :evil:

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

I don't think anybody needs any new kit for this ride. There are some very fit riders coming along (not me). If we ran out of time or it was killing riders there is slack built into the ride - we could cut off 4 miles after Wightwizzle or ditch the last major climb of the day out of Oughtibridge although that'd be a shame to lose Burley Stones etc.

There aren't any super climbs, some of them are short and sharper 200ft ones and some 500 footers. The kinks on the strines road are short and nasty but we'll all get over at whatever pace.

bonj2

marinyork said:
I don't think anybody needs any new kit for this ride. There are some very fit riders coming along (not me). If we ran out of time or it was killing riders there is slack built into the ride - we could cut off 4 miles after Wightwizzle or ditch the last major climb of the day out of Oughtibridge although that'd be a shame to lose Burley Stones etc.

There aren't any super climbs, some of them are short and sharper 200ft ones and some 500 footers. The kinks on the strines road are short and nasty but we'll all get over at whatever pace.

Ah but i notice you've split the two monstrous gulfs up (ewden beck and strines dike) with the windy bank descent (you have got windy bank as a descent haven't you?)

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
marinyork said:

The climb from Low to High Bradfield looks pretty nasty.

I've been meaning to get the megarange for a while, so this is a good excuse. I'm rubbish at hills anyway.

Any cafe stops planned?

hulver said:

I've been meaning to get the megarange for a while, so this is a good excuse. I'm rubbish at hills anyway.

Any cafe stops planned?

Yes- half way up the M1...we softies haven't got all day you know. :evil:

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

bonj said:
Ah but i notice you've split the two monstrous gulfs up (ewden beck and strines dike) with the windy bank descent (you have got windy bank as a descent haven't you?)

Yes, it is a descent. It is down twice. If the Wightwizzle shortcut was taken it would be once but we'll leave that to the day. The split is just to offer some variation, break and cafe stop in the middle.

hulver said:

Any cafe stops planned?

Yes. Bonj's posts subtly allude to cafe stops. One in Low Bradfield at the Plough and one at the cafe on the Stocksbridge Bypass at Langsett. We'll also be going past Hillsborough and sarny shops before the pre-climb. We also go past Oughtibridge.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi guys.

I said that I wasn't going to be coming along, but there is the outside chance that I might be able to after all. Have you definitely decided on Sunday 27th September? I've looked through the thread several times and I can't see anywhere where it has been confirmed!

bonj2

marinyork said:
Yes. Bonj's posts subtly allude to cafe stops. One in Low Bradfield at the Plough and one at the cafe on the Stocksbridge Bypass at Langsett. We'll also be going past Hillsborough and sarny shops before the pre-climb. We also go past Oughtibridge.

what caff is there at langsett? I've only ever seen evidence of two pubs, one right opposite and one further down called the mustard pot that there's loads of signs to

bonj2

ColinJ said:
Hi guys.

I said that I wasn't going to be coming along, but there is the outside chance that I might be able to after all. Have you definitely decided on Sunday 27th September? I've looked through the thread several times and I can't see anywhere where it has been confirmed!

no I don't think it has Colin, afaik it's either 26th or 27th, but which hasn't been decided yet.

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Bank View Cafe, or whatever it's called. Unfortunately they have a faulty website IIRC. I'll go up and take a photo of the menu and all that at some point. I think it's 9am-5pm everyday. It's in a stone building with car park on the north side of the bypass. It may have been a pub in the past, I'm not sure.

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Hi ColinJ.

I should really put a poll up. It hasn't been decided (I think) just that it is that weekend. I think ILB wanted it on the Saturday so he could go on a club run the morning after (which will probably cover some of the same area), whether he'd be offended and not come along if everybody else wanted it on a Sunday or whether it was a mild preference and he'd still like to meet up with the Southern CCers and Northerners anyway I cannot say. To me it doesn't make the slightest difference. The Langsett Cafe is open till 5pm on a Sunday I think, if it wasn't that would be one of the practical considerations, as are trains although most of the outliers are not coming by train, I know that now.

The apparent relaxed attitude to this on my part is mostly that I'm used to riding with groups of ever dwindling numbers of people and whoever turns up (or nobody on quite a few occasions) is whatever happens. Posting a ride idea on the internet and having loads of people turn up is very flattering and feels slightly mad in the twitter direction. Having to hurry at great speed to get to other people's rides I'm also not wanting to dictate that the ride starts at the crack of dawn. I have exactly the same problem coming to your rides ColinJ.

Top Bottom