Stripped threads out of "Spline?" on the drive side crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi :smile:

I foolishly overtightened the crank puller that screws into the crank (the spline - I think it's called) thread stripped and the puller just came out of the hole without bringing the crank arm with it! I have probably explained it all wrong but I fear the crankset is not stuck to the BB and frame :sad:

ANy ideas?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
what type of puller? the ones i've used, you hand tighten the outer then spanner the inner. the inner pushes against the bottom bracket, this in turn pushes the crank off.

if the thread is stripped, you can either glue the puller in with metal glue, this will scrap the puller, or carefully hacksaw the crank arm perpendicular to the bottom bracket.hth

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
what type of puller? the ones i've used, you hand tighten the outer then spanner the inner. the inner pushes against the bottom bracket, this in turn pushes the crank off.

if the thread is stripped, you can either glue the puller in with metal glue, this will scrap the puller, or carefully hacksaw the crank arm perpendicular to the bottom bracket.hth

Hi
It's one of these: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ice-toolz/crank-removal-tool-with-handle-ec006782

Hi :smile:

I foolishly overtightened the crank puller that screws into the crank (the spline - I think it's called) thread stripped and the puller just came out of the hole without bringing the crank arm with it! I have probably explained it all wrong but I fear the crankset is not stuck to the BB and frame :sad:

ANy ideas?

Firstly you are not the first to suffer the problem, its happened to me a few times and it make me so angry. normally I get the blow torch up and running and heat the crankarm up, being in most cases well in my case a ally crank, it expands quicker than the steeel shank, give it a good hard whack with the rubber mallet and it normally comes off. but failing that in the past the hacksaw comes out and I saw the crank off.. and buy a new crankset

Top Bottom