Stripped threads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickr

Über Member
I’ve recently purchase a Planet X London Road. While fitting a rack and mudguards I’ve stripped threads in two of the very low quality mounting points. These appear to be made of very soft aluminum, familiar to anyone who owned a 1970’s Japanese motorbike.

I am not an idiot, I've fitted racks and mudguards to my last two bikes with no problems.

Is there any way to replace these? Planet X can offer no solution.

Tim Hall

If they're holes where you can see both sides, you could drill out and fit a nut and bolt.

D

Deleted member 26715

Or find somebody with either rivnuts or helicoils

NeilnrLincoln

Helicoil type thread repair kits should do the job, I've used them to repair a couple of rack mount threads on an alloy Trek frame. They come with the necessary drill etc. I presume it's M5.
The repair will be invisible & stronger than the original threads.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Stop replying. ^^^^^^ This is the only correct answer.
Duck tape.

My dad had a set of helicoils (or similar) in his garage that he'd acquired somewhere or other. I always wanted an excuse to use them but it never cropped up.

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I'd do the nut and bolt trick drilling iut the hole a smidge. And I do have a set of helicoils too,but don't think I'd bother here

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd do the nut and bolt trick drilling iut the hole a smidge. And I do have a set of helicoils too,but don't think I'd bother here
I have to say although I have both rivnuts & hellicoils I'd do the same

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member
Can't do the nut and bolt trick - its the fastening point at the top of the seat stay, and having looked at it, I dont think there is enough metal to use helicoils either.

Top Bottom