Stripped threads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickr

Veteran
I’ve recently purchase a Planet X London Road. While fitting a rack and mudguards I’ve stripped threads in two of the very low quality mounting points. These appear to be made of very soft aluminum, familiar to anyone who owned a 1970’s Japanese motorbike.


I am not an idiot, I've fitted racks and mudguards to my last two bikes with no problems.


Is there any way to replace these? Planet X can offer no solution.
 

Tim Hall

Guest
Location
Crawley
If they're holes where you can see both sides, you could drill out and fit a nut and bolt.
 
D

Deleted member 26715

Guest
Or find somebody with either rivnuts or helicoils
 

NeilnrLincoln

Über Member
Location
Lincoln
Helicoil type thread repair kits should do the job, I've used them to repair a couple of rack mount threads on an alloy Trek frame. They come with the necessary drill etc. I presume it's M5.
The repair will be invisible & stronger than the original threads.
 

Dogtrousers

Lefty tighty. Get it righty.
Stop replying. ^^^^^^ This is the only correct answer.
Duck tape.

My dad had a set of helicoils (or similar) in his garage that he'd acquired somewhere or other. I always wanted an excuse to use them but it never cropped up.
 
OP
OP
N

nickr

Veteran

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I'd do the nut and bolt trick drilling iut the hole a smidge. And I do have a set of helicoils too,but don't think I'd bother here
 
D

Deleted member 26715

Guest
I'd do the nut and bolt trick drilling iut the hole a smidge. And I do have a set of helicoils too,but don't think I'd bother here
I have to say although I have both rivnuts & hellicoils I'd do the same
 
OP
OP
N

nickr

Veteran
Can't do the nut and bolt trick - its the fastening point at the top of the seat stay, and having looked at it, I dont think there is enough metal to use helicoils either.
 
Top Bottom