Stripping Bike Paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

Hope the pandemic isn't driving everyone completely crazy.

Unfortunately that can't be said for me.

I'm in the process of stripping paint from an old bike I'm trying to restore.

I'm probably not doing it right as the paint isn't coming off very easily at all but does anyone have any recommended products or tips to do when in the process of this?

I've got some emery cloth, scotch brite disc pads for the drill and some paint stripper but it's taken two days to get through about a 1/4 of the bike's paint so far.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

screenman

Legendary Member
Blow torch and wire brush, of course since I used to teach spraying I would not have taken all the paint off.

I have used NO NONSENSE PAINT & VARNISH STRIPPER 500ML (17091)
from Screwfix. I applied it a few times and I used a wire brush and water to remove the bilistered paint and the undercoat from a steel Peugeot frame from 90s. I finished the frame with Cold Galvanising Spray from Screwfix. I probably wouldn't do such a job again. I would give the frame to a local workshop let them do the job next time. I used to give my Honda Fireblade wheels to a local workshop they charged me about £100 for stripping the old flaking paint on the alloy rims and applying a fresh coat of Matt Black. The result was fantastic.

ozboz

Guru
: 3710"]
Blow torch and wire brush, of course since I used to teach spraying I would not have taken all the paint off.
[/QUOTE]

Hiya , That’s interesting , I have a Surly that I’m thinking of spraying myself , it is powder coated at present , is that a stable base to spray on ? , just a good sand , wet n dry ?

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
: 3710"]

Hiya , That’s interesting , I have a Surly that I’m thinking of spraying myself , it is powder coated at present , is that a stable base to spray on ? , just a good sand , wet n dry ?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, it will take a paint. I hope you are going to use a twin pack lawyer on it.

I had a similar issue, i asked on my local facebook group for people who could do the job and a local guy who works at an auto spraying shop said he could strip it for £30 and also paint it for another £2 as long as i didnt mind a limited choice of colours.
it is a no brainer, go for it. They paint the parts in a boot where all the dust and particles in the air sucked from the floor. You can never create such environment at home.

Top Bottom