Stronger wheels...but lightish (if possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

That might be so, but Merlin don't specify what the spec is. Why should I work out the weight, surely that's the role of the retailer to provide the information, especially on an off the peg option

An email to Merlin would be as quick as an email to DCR, I should think. What sort of weight wheel are you after anyway? I take it you don't agree with the mathematical demonstrations previously covered off?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i have ridden zipps, handbuilts, off the shelf all in different spoke configurations, i am bigger than vickster....never snapped a spoke or had a wheel go out of true

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
An email to Merlin would be as quick as an email to DCR, I should think. What sort of weight wheel are you after anyway? I take it you don't agree with the mathematical demonstrations previously covered off?
I don't do maths and I dont know what you are referring to anyhow

Citius

Who then would you suggest. I don't know any other wheel builders of renown

You live in Sutton? Pearsons are in Sutton. I'd be very surprised if they couldn't build you a set of wheels.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
You live in Sutton? Pearsons are in Sutton. I'd be very surprised if they couldn't build you a set of wheels.
I'm sure they could but they are expensive generally. I'll ask when I take the bike back to get the wheel retrued by them for a third time...as I mentioned in the OP

Cyclist33

It does now, my bad...Google helps there too :smile:

Confession, I already knew their published weight coz of I've window shopped them many times. I didn't know how much / whether matching that weight mattered to you.

Is that the real world weight of the R5s? Mine are 2013 ones and the published weight of around 1750 g was *****x. They weigh 1900 g.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Confession, I already knew their published weight coz of I've window shopped them many times. I didn't know how much / whether matching that weight mattered to you.

Is that the real world weight of the R5s? Mine are 2013 ones and the published weight of around 1750 g was *****x. They weigh 1900 g.
Apparently so without rim tape and skewers, but any wheels will need those

There'll be a pair of quieter black hubbed 2014s for sale quite soon...the white hubbed 2013s are noisy clickety buggers :biggrin:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'm around 100kg at the moment, I've had a set of DCR's built up which are 32/36 I believe (possibly 32/32, it's been a while since I've counted them) DT Swiss spokes, Novatec hubs and Archetype rims. They sit on the Synapse and haven't caused me any problems since I got them, I've probably done 1500 or so miles on them I have no idea how heavy they are (and Archetype's are a middling sort of depth rim) they are for disk brakes which narrows down the hub options (and probably makes them heavier). I've a set of @Spoked Wheels built up at the beginning of the year, these are 36/36 because they are on my Sirrus which commutes in and out of London every day. The other spokes (Sapim, or the DCR's are Sapim and these are DT Swiss) again Archetypes but a really nice grey. Hope hubs (which are very clicky, Novatecs are relatively quiet) again, disks and I have no idea how heavy they are. Both felt lighter than the original Cannondale wheels they replaced despite having a lot more spokes. Again these have been completely problem free and replaced stock wheels that I was going through spokes on like they were Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

I'm happy with both sets and for me both have hugely improved on what was on the bikes. I really wouldn't worry too much about the spoke count being 'a bit high' you're carrying a pannier, that (empty) will comfortably eclipse your 200g on this wheel, 215g on that one.

I've no idea if that helps...

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Apparently so without rim tape and skewers, but any wheels will need those

There'll be a pair of quieter black hubbed 2014s for sale quite soon...the white hubbed 2013s are noisy clickety buggers :biggrin:

I just saw this thread. Not sure why I didn't see the alert of you tagging me.

PM me the details if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom