Stronger wheels...but lightish (if possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
this must be a typo or misunderstanding - the dish of the wheel is not optional, it is necessary to make the wheel fit within the seat and chain stays
Yeah, just syntax. The depth of the rim from the tyres to the spokes is what I've read it as in this context. Nothing to do with the angles of the spokes from rim to hub.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
the Velocity deep V rims are 30mm deep or so, The OP is looking for shallow rims like the Open Pro or Ambrosio excelight.

I will try to address a number of points raised on this thread.... I would probably forget most of the ones I wanted to address anyway.

24f and 28r seem not enough spokes for me either. even with Archetype.

32 for front is OK but I think 28 would be enough. Front wheels don't need to be as strong as rear wheels.

Ultegra are great hubs but they cost about £90, too expensive for some people. also, they only come in 32 and 36 drillings.

In a few years time I think most of the wheels will be 23mm wide.... that's the trend anyway.

Not only some wheel builders aren't keen on hope hubs. great hubs but too noisy for some people. I appreciate Mik's point about alerting people though. Cost can be another factor why wheel builders don't mention them.

Spokes on a low spoke count factory wheel for sure will have thicker spokes.... so there's no comparison with the spokes we can get off the shelf. So a 32 spokes hand built wheel can still be lighter than a 16 spokes factory wheel with big fat spokes.... it all depends what wheels we are talking about.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'd be a bit wary of anyone who suggests 24/28 spokes is ok for 91kg, plus extra loading, on urban roads. Just my opinion.

This caught my eye and i would agree with it; I'd want more spokes than that for a heavily laden, urban wheel. Save the low-spoke jobs for a Sunday bike.
FWIW, my GF has Fulcrum 5s on her "best" bike and they've been bomb-proof although she's a little lighter than you Vickster and her bike doesn't have a rack.

For a tough wheel, I'd be looking at 32/36 or, at a pinch, 28/32. More spokes on the rear makes sense since the rear wheel carries more weight, especially when the rack is loaded. As a bonus, more spokes could mean riding home rather than getting a taxi/train/lift if a spoke does break. You've more chance of true-ing the wheel to keep the bike ride-able.

Paul Hewitt (mentioned up-thread) has built several of my wheels and they've been great albeit he's some way from Sutton.

I can't really advise on hubs and rims since all my bikes have disc brakes and most of the rims are disc specific (ie no braking track). I do, however, have a pair of wheels with Mavic CXP33 rims and they look pretty good and Paul recommended them because the deep(ish) rim section also makes them very strong.

I reckon the most important contributor to strength is the build quality followed, probably, by number and type of spokes.

Another advantage of hand-built wheels is that you can probably re-use the hubs when the rims are worn out.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Discussions have led to 28 on the front and 32 on the back. I'd had no problems for 1000 miles and lots in the last 50. The other pair on the carbon bike are fine fingers crossed

Why not a higher spoke count handbuilt just on the rear if your fronts are still performing fine? Obviously that assumes you have no problem mixing and matching ;)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Get some wheels made . H plus son rims look classy , with a ticking hub and aero spokes they just say class . I'd have some made if I hadn't gone carbon and aero .

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Anymore than fulcrum 5s. Which are around 35mm in total from tyre to spoke. I'm going for mavic open pro rims most likely. Some will be pleased that these only come in 32h option in silver

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Well fulcrum 5s are 27.5mm deep at the rear

H sons are 25mm deep, so not sure why the reluctance to go with these rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom