Stronger wheels...but lightish (if possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

I'd be stunned if the weight difference is anything worth bothering with on a bike that carries a rack and a pannier bag anyway. Unless you are stripping off everything you aren't going to use with each ride, or weighing up each item that goes in the pannier, the difference (if the built wheels are any heavier at all) will be negligible to un-noticeable.

Just don't put any actual numbers on that observation, people don't like to quantify things around here.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I would recommend spending half that having your current rims replaced and properly built up. I had no end of issues on my mavic open pro rims until I followed advice on here and took the leap.

Not a wobble since...not a click, creak, nothing.

I still went out and bought some new rims this year but that was just for vanity. The old ones are back on this weekend for a Brussels to Paris tour...far more robust than my plastic rims.
Too late, all organised. These should look class on the genesis

I don't think the fulcrums are strong enough for me and my rack and panniers ultimately...as much as i am trying to lose weight, it's a very slow slow process and I'm not sure I'd ever get myself and my luggage to the recommended 82kg

Cyclist33

I am surprised that the R5s have given out as I have found mine to be unbreakable and they have done some not exactly road based riding too... anyway, good choice Open Pro. I have a pair of Tiagra hubs 32 hole and am going to be Open Pro'ing them up at some point as soon as I've actually bought the rims (and spokes) - also planning to go silver.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't know that they are utterly knackered but the fact they start to rub the mudguards on every ride is frustrating to say the least

I'll get them sorted and sell on

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I am surprised that the R5s have given out as I have found mine to be unbreakable and they have done some not exactly road based riding too... anyway, good choice Open Pro. I have a pair of Tiagra hubs 32 hole and am going to be Open Pro'ing them up at some point as soon as I've actually bought the rims (and spokes) - also planning to go silver.
Sigma was the cheapest place for open pro rims in silver, not sure they actually make them anymore so you may not wish to dally

Cyclist33

Sigma was the cheapest place for open pro rims in silver, not sure they actually make them anymore so you may not wish to dally

I looked on ebay for them, they were coming in at 37 quid each I think.

I'm in no rush though. I've got a pair of each of:

Fulcrum R5
Vision Team30
Shimano RS31

... none of which are in any danger of falling apart any time soon!

e-rider

crappy member
How does the weight compare? I don't want to add any more weight to the bike as I have to carry it and have dodgy joints

Mavic cxp33 only appear to be available in black, not silver so that takes them out of the equation, especially as there looks to be quite a look of black (regardless of the whole dish semantics, I do NOT like that look ;) ) The wheel builder has recommended the open pro
cxp33 come in silver

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
cxp33 come in silver
Not that I could see anywhere - yes, the braking surface may be silver, but the 'fairing' or whatever you want to call it is black...and thick - far too deep for my liking on further advice

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I find it odd that you complain of deep rims and have been riding deepish rim R5's

And the cxp33s are less deep than the R5s

e-rider

crappy member
Not that I could see anywhere - yes, the braking surface may be silver, but the 'fairing' or whatever you want to call it is black...and thick - far too deep for my liking on further advice
what, the deepness (section) of the rim is only a few mm more than the shallowest rims available - you seem to be talking nonsense
cxp33 rims have been available in silver for several years but it does now appear that only black is available - perhaps this is a current supply problem

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
what, the deepness (section) of the rim is only a few mm more than the shallowest rims available - you seem to be talking nonsense
cxp33 rims have been available in silver for several years but it does now appear that only black is available - perhaps this is a current supply problem
I already stated on a post above that the cxp33's are shallower than the current R5's..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom