Stronger wheels...but lightish (if possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I currently have 2014 Fulcrum 5s on my Genesis but for the third time in as many rides the rear has gone out of true (seems to be one or two pesky spokes getting loose), so it looks like it might be time for a change (not a performance upgrade, a change ;) ). I am not the lightest (currently around 91kg) and the bike wears a fixed rack and rack bag. It gets ridden on crappy SW London roads mainly. I have 2013 Fulcrum 5s on the carbon but no issue with those wheels (yet)

Pearsons who have kindly rejigged the wheel twice (and will need to do it again) suggested I need stronger wheels with more spokes for what is essentially my 'touring' bike (I added that I am not the lightest either)

I'm assuming hand builts are the way to go, I use 25mm tyres, and a SRAM cassette. None of that deep dish nastiness of course! A nice gunmetal rim and spokes would match the bike beautifully :girl: Fulcrums are 1645g

Suggestions, I guess I don't really want to spend more than £250 - is that realistic?

Maybe @Spoked Wheels can assist?

Last edited:

Cyclist33

As usual: Google.

I would bracket "strength and durability" as part of "performance", what good is a wheel that keeps going out of true?

Someone will be along soon to say "DCR Wheels".

Can't see anything immediately wrong with: http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-5800-hub-on-mavic-open-pro-rim-59395.html

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I emailed DCR and had a response from David already. He's suggested a couple of options. Says 24:28 spoke count should be sufficient. Just looking at what he's suggested

Can't see a spoke count on the linked shimano option, nor a weight

By performance I meant being able to go quicker I guess..and wanted to avoid such bickering

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I emailed DCR and had a response from David already. He's suggested a couple of options. Says 24:28 spoke count should be sufficient. Just looking at what he's suggested
he's a great guy and gives top notch recommendations....had two sets built buy him

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd be a bit wary of anyone who suggests 24/28 spokes is ok for 91kg, plus extra loading, on urban roads. Just my opinion.
Do you build wheels? It's more than the 18/20 on the fulcrums, with which I didn't have an issue with for the first 1000 miles. I guess he's suggesting a compromise based on budget, wheel weight as well. Presumably the actual components used are important in addition to the number of actual spokes

Cyclist33

Can't see a spoke count on the linked shimano option, nor a weight

By performance I meant being able to go quicker I guess..and wanted to avoid such bickering

Shimano 105 hubs come in 28, 32 or 36 hole setups I believe. Weight - you could work it out by getting the component weights.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Shimano 105 hubs come in 28, 32 or 36 hole setups I believe. Weight - you could work it out by getting the component weights.
That might be so, but Merlin don't specify what the spec is. Why should I work out the weight, surely that's the role of the retailer to provide the information, especially on an off the peg option

Citius

Do you build wheels? It's more than the 18/20 on the fulcrums, with which I didn't have an issue with for the first 1000 miles. I guess he's suggesting a compromise based on budget, weight as well

I would rather give the job to someone else, tbh. I would have thought the best compromise would be 32/32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom