Stronger wheels...but lightish (if possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Dunno that was a guess. Because they look ugly in pictures
The silver rims look very nice and are very strong rims too.......get them laced into 32h hubs and they will last a very long time

jowwy

Archetype-3-1024x1024.jpg

e-rider

crappy member
Yeah those
well that's not the 'dish' then - very confusing. The dish has only one meaning with respect to wheels and that in simple terms relates to 'spoke angles' if you want to describe it like that - it has nothing to do with how deep the rims are and so on

e-rider

crappy member
Anymore than fulcrum 5s. Which are around 35mm in total from tyre to spoke. I'm going for mavic open pro rims most likely. Some will be pleased that these only come in 32h option in silver
mavic cxp33 are a better rim than the open pro and only a few £ more expensive - I'd go for 36 holes as the extra weight of 4 spokes in minimal but they will be notably stronger

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
How does the weight compare? I don't want to add any more weight to the bike as I have to carry it and have dodgy joints

Mavic cxp33 only appear to be available in black, not silver so that takes them out of the equation, especially as there looks to be quite a look of black (regardless of the whole dish semantics, I do NOT like that look ;) ) The wheel builder has recommended the open pro

Last edited:

jowwy

Are they the TB14 ?
No - they are the polished silver archetypes

Cyclist33

How does the weight compare? I don't want to add any more weight to the bike as I have to carry it and have dodgy joints

Mavic cxp33 only appear to be available in black, not silver so that takes them out of the equation, especially as there looks to be quite a look of black (regardless of the whole dish semantics, I do NOT like that look ;) ) The wheel builder has recommended the open pro

Well, you'd need to weigh the Fulcrums first as they might not be their published weight and we don't know for certain whether published weight includes skewers (typically 120 g the pair) and/or rim tape...

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'd be stunned if the weight difference is anything worth bothering with on a bike that carries a rack and a pannier bag anyway. Unless you are stripping off everything you aren't going to use with each ride, or weighing up each item that goes in the pannier, the difference (if the built wheels are any heavier at all) will be negligible to un-noticeable.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
After weighing everything up...Going for open pro, novatech hubs, dt Swiss spokes. 32 front, 36 rear

Thanks all

Sounds great, Look forward to seeing them.
I have the Novatech hubs (Silver) and they are top jobs. Look great too. I always get great comments about them. Sealed bearings too which are so easy to replace when they need changing. Slightest downside, slightly to loud for me. I prefer silent.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
After weighing everything up...Going for open pro silver, novatech silver hubs, dt Swiss silver spokes. 32 front, 36 rear

Just need to go shopping now :biggrin:

Thanks all, especially @Spoked Wheels and @w00hoo_kent

You definitely like shallow rims so the Open Pro with sufficient spokes will do a good job for you.

The Novatec hubs A171 and F172 have been very good with everybody I have used them with. Pretty easy to change the sealed bearings too. They don't have the best seals though.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I currently have 2014 Fulcrum 5s on my Genesis but for the third time in as many rides the rear has gone out of true (seems to be one or two pesky spokes getting loose), so it looks like it might be time for a change (not a performance upgrade, a change ;) ). I am not the lightest (currently around 91kg) and the bike wears a fixed rack and rack bag. It gets ridden on crappy SW London roads mainly. I have 2013 Fulcrum 5s on the carbon but no issue with those wheels (yet)

Pearsons who have kindly rejigged the wheel twice (and will need to do it again) suggested I need stronger wheels with more spokes for what is essentially my 'touring' bike (I added that I am not the lightest either)

I'm assuming hand builts are the way to go, I use 25mm tyres, and a SRAM cassette. None of that deep dish nastiness of course! A nice gunmetal rim and spokes would match the bike beautifully :girl: Fulcrums are 1645g

Suggestions, I guess I don't really want to spend more than £250 - is that realistic?

Maybe @Spoked Wheels can assist?
I would recommend spending half that having your current rims replaced and properly built up. I had no end of issues on my mavic open pro rims until I followed advice on here and took the leap.

Not a wobble since...not a click, creak, nothing.

I still went out and bought some new rims this year but that was just for vanity. The old ones are back on this weekend for a Brussels to Paris tour...far more robust than my plastic rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom