Struggling on distance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
In my head when I was 3 stone heavier I was carrying more energy so it didn’t matter if I was having a gel on the way round, but now there isn’t as much fat so I need to consume more while on a ride?

For a distance as short as 32 miles, it's extremely unlikely to be about consumption on the ride.

Much more likely is that you're simply going out too hard, and pacing yourself over the full distance is what's required.

You see this particularly in hilly TTs where some riders get it wrong and fade badly at the end whereas relatively slower starters do better overall.

My suggestion would be to deliberately take the first half easy then go full gas 2nd half.

But above all else, enjoy the ride and don't worry too much about times!

alicat

Legendary Member
Do you ever ride with someone else? Having a buddy to chat to is great motivation to keep going. ^_^

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But above all else, enjoy the ride
Maybe we aren't concentrating enough on this. It's all very well us saying "slow down, ride in zone 2" but if blasting along setting PRs is what the OP enjoys then we are being killjoys, like Calvin's dad.
1684223904436.png

But unfortunately it's true. Riding slower builds aerobic base. Being miserable builds character.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
But unfortunately it's true. Riding slower builds aerobic base. Being miserable builds character.

It does though build the base for attacking those PBs. When I watch club mates who successfully do this they will often ride steady throughout the ride and only ride hard if/when they're after a time.

Jon in Sweden

For a distance as short as 32 miles, it's extremely unlikely to be about consumption on the ride.

Much more likely is that you're simply going out too hard, and pacing yourself over the full distance is what's required.

You see this particularly in hilly TTs where some riders get it wrong and fade badly at the end whereas relatively slower starters do better overall.

My suggestion would be to deliberately take the first half easy then go full gas 2nd half.

But above all else, enjoy the ride and don't worry too much about times!

There is a lot to be said for starting slowly and finishing strong.

I've become a bit competitive of late with a few of the guys from the village with KOMs. The two chaps who I'm chasing down at the moment (and I quite often ride with) are both ex-ice hockey players with monstrous quads. They sprint off in a manner that I could never match, but I come back stronger in the latter stages of the climbs when they've faded.

You are probably right though about fueling. Carbs would help on a 50km ride, but they aren't necessary.

Tomm Williams

I cannot recall the name of the famous cyclist who stated (paraphrasing here) that if you want to become a better cyclist then just cycle more.
A simple straightforward approach might be all you need.

Top Bottom