Struggling on distance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattony

Hi

I seem to struggle on a ride of around 30 + miles, a few years ago 35ish was my dead zone and once I passed 40 I was ok, not sure if that was a mind rather than nutrition.

Jan 22 I joined a gym, I was bored of turbo trainer and wanted to go back into the cycle season in good shape, I’ve lost 3 stone, much stronger but last year I struggled on any kind of distance so settled a short 25 ish miles.

Did 32 miles yesterday, 1650ft of climbing in 2 hours, but towards the end my legs were empty, hills felt impossible (although I managed a PR)

In my head when I was 3 stone heavier I was carrying more energy so it didn’t matter if I was having a gel on the way round, but now there isn’t as much fat so I need to consume more while on a ride?

I enjoy the distance and don’t want to settle for 25 miles, I did a 65 mile ride 2 years ago, I just wouldn’t make it now despite being fitter and stronger, it doesn’t make sense.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Once you've built up fitness you'll find you can do almost any distance at the right intensity, a lot of it is just in the mind. Perhaps you are just riding too intensely at the moment. Perhaps bag the distance at a lower intensity and down the line you'll be able confidently up it. Good luck :-)

Nutrition wise everyone is different. I wouldn't eat on a 25miler and might not even drink, but thats just me, do what works for you.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice work on the weight loss :smile:

Sounds like you're just running out of energy, which, if you're eating carbs will come from carbs so you might want to consider taking more fuel (IMO sod the gels and get some decent flapjack). Alternatively when I've managed to stick to low-carb in the past the energy seems limitless as you're burning fat instead (of which I have much) however your peak output will likely be lower.

Paul makes a good point above - starting slower will allow you to cover more total distance at a lesser speed.

It may also be that, while your time in the gym has built strength and lost you weight, it's not specifically / completely targeted the muscles you need for cycling.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I echo the sentiments of the others. Too fast. You're burning yourself out far too quickly.
We all like to think we can cover distance quickly, but you just have to find a slower speed that covers the miles without burnout.
Slowing down is the key. Build up the distance first and then the speed.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Agree with Paul. Either long and much slower rides or shorter but faster rides. It’s hard doing long rides at a decent speed until you are mega fit.

Do you wear a heart rate monitor? Maybe try and keep the heart rate in zone 2 for the bulk of your rides.

@fattony Mo makes a very good point. We are all different and comparing individual heart rates is pointless. I ride with friends, we are all late 60s, who are at similar level of fitness and ability but our HRs vary widely. To give you an example, on Saturday I rode 62 miles with an average of 15.4, the first 55 were at 16 avg, as usual I slowed on the way home. On this ride I was in Z1 for 34% (endurance riding - distance) and Z2 for 65% (moderate riding - also distance), I slipped into Z3 for two minutes! My average HR was 105bpm. I have a very low HR which shows why comparisons are irrelevant.

Our distances are different but the point is the same, ride in Z1 and Z2 to build endurance and stamina. I'm perfectly comfortable at these averages but if I went out and rode 36 miles in two hours, 18mph average, I would come home knackered. What you have described is, in my view, very hard work for someone who is returning to or getting in to cycling and is basically the wrong approach.

I'm heading out with a buddy today, the plan is for 100+ miles and I would hope to get home with an average of 14.5/15 and an HR in Z1/Z2 all day with excursions in to Z3/4 on the two climbs we have to do.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Definitely a fueling issue.

I've done 2 hours round the moor and needed to stop for a bar of chocolate 5 miles from home! Because I'd spent all the fuel I had in the tank! But going slower say 12 +13mph avg I can go all day with regular fuel stops. Combining the two is where it get harder.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Definitely a fueling issue.

I've done 2 hours round the moor and needed to stop for a bar of chocolate 5 miles from home! Because I'd spent all the fuel I had in the tank! But going slower say 12 +13mph avg I can go all day with regular fuel stops. Combining the two is where it get harder.

I remember a few year back stopping at the convenience store less than a mile from home and sitting on pavement outside eating a snickers or summat as my legs had gone to Jelly!

I think the OPs issue is a pacing one though, he's going all out for 2 hours and burying himself. Easing off a touch will allow him to keep going for much longer.

I've barely been out in 2023 for a number of reasons, but we racked up a 40+ miler yesterday at fairly gentle pace. My biggest issue was my arse seems to have gone soft as that was hurting a bit at 30 miles or so, but seems to improve by the end. There is no substitute for time in the saddle to tone up those "special" muscles.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Did 32 miles yesterday, 1650ft of climbing in 2 hours, but towards the end my legs were empty, hills felt impossible (although I managed a PR)
It's not a problem I've ever really had, but one possible reason that you are experiencing it and I haven't is your speed. Maybe if you slow down a bit you'll be able to go further. Also, assuming you're riding at quite a high intensity, maybe a sit down and a sandwich half way? Do you have a heart rate monitor? Maybe keep an eye on your HR and keep it down.

I'd be surprised if I've ever covered 32 miles in 2 hours.

(Edit ... just read everyone else's answers. Seems I'm not saying anything that's not been said several times)

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In my head when I was 3 stone heavier I was carrying more energy so it didn’t matter if I was having a gel on the way round, but now there isn’t as much fat so I need to consume more while on a ride?
Just to add, the general advice that I hear is that you should always fuel adequately while riding. You may be watching your calories and reducing your food intake in the rest of your life, but on the bike is not the time to do it.

Even if you've lost weight there will always be enough fat available (unless you are extremely skinny like some pro cyclists) provided that you are riding at a level that will metabolise that fat.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Hi

I seem to struggle on a ride of around 30 + miles, a few years ago 35ish was my dead zone and once I passed 40 I was ok, not sure if that was a mind rather than nutrition.

Jan 22 I joined a gym, I was bored of turbo trainer and wanted to go back into the cycle season in good shape, I’ve lost 3 stone, much stronger but last year I struggled on any kind of distance so settled a short 25 ish miles.

I enjoy the distance and don’t want to settle for 25 miles, I did a 65 mile ride 2 years ago, I just wouldn’t make it now despite being fitter and stronger, it doesn’t make sense.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and how did you resolve it?

Thanks
Physics: To double your speed you need to put in 4 x the energy.
Things that deplete that energy include: Hills and friction; especially wind resistance.

So assuming you have reasonable fitness and a well-maintained bike, significant ways to extend your range are some combination of:

a) Being aerodynamic
b) Avoiding headwinds.
c) Riding slowly
d) Avoidng hills!
e) EAting!

I reckon 2 weetabix and a mug of unsweetened tea are good for 60 miles at about 15mph or so.
If I want to ride more than 70 miles, I'll plan a food stop.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Pace!
To go further, go slower. You'll also use a lot less energy. If you try to tear-around at TT speed, don't be surprised if you crash-and burn.
Also, have a good breakfast.
I did a lazy, lumpy 36 miles, 2,500ft ascending at 10 mph average the other day on a decent brekkie only. No energy issues, no gels etc.
At my cruising 12 to 14mph pace I'd reckon on doing a good 40 to 50 miles or so before needing any food intake other than breakfast.
If I'm planning on riding further than 50 miles, then I'd start eating sooner, maybe every 30 miles or so and then I'd eat real food. Ditch the gel shite.
Start slow, finish strong.

Top Bottom