Struggling to get on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone else really struggling for motivation at the moment?
Nope. I may have the odd day where I'm tucked up and too busy (rare) or not feeling well (rare), but pumping out a quick 15 miler is the reason I get out of bed in the morning. Cycling is me, it's what I do.

As for your predicament, how about a new challenge? Distance in an hour? Top speed on that descent? Try and bag a KoM? Such goals can be strangely addictive and motivating.

Best of luck.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Another one that prefers to switch to more running and walking at this time of the year. My cycling mojo starts to wane once it gets miserable out and the roads are wet and filthy.

I need a new cycling goal. The next one would be to do 200km but daylight hours are too short for that now and I'm not going to do night riding. I'm not a speedy person so I don't think about increasing speed as a goal. I wouldn't mind doing a 100km audax but nothing is on now.

Willd

Veteran
I had the cunning idea of doing more swimming in the winter, rather than commuting by bike. Managed one week before the government messed that one up :banghead: Still cycling at weekends, if it's not too wet or icy :rolleyes:

Most cyclists do walk however in daily life which is weight bearing without the impact load of running :okay:
If you’re going to run make sure you wear the correct footwear for your biomechanics to prevent injury
yep.
I have the impression that on balance running is pretty bad for you, at least/especially as you age.
My uncle was a fell runner (pictures of him in mid run gave me no desire to take up the sport/torture) but had to stop because of impact issues. He passed the enthusiasm/drug onto his son and he has also had to give up. Both now cycle to get their exercise.

When lockdown finishes I plan to be back to the usual 100 k on a Sunday ATM no club rides or proper cafe stops so not been doing a decent ride lately
why don't you go out alone with supplies?
I think this whole thing a hell so am not going to claim that there are really any positives worth having but I have some nice memories of lockdown 1 rides. Some were train assisted - I considered the risk to me and anyone else next to negligible.

Last edited:
10.5mph for me today. Are none of you riding through coffee stands and fishmongers, or filling three panniers, a saddlebag and a basket with groceries at the halfway? ;)
my normal overall average is something just over 10mph over a whole ride. Doesn't bother me. Am always a tad suspicious of high broadcast averages unless someone is a full on racer. Not claiming they are fraudulent, just a maybe a bit amiss in calculating them.

I had the cunning idea of doing more swimming in the winter, rather than commuting by bike. Managed one week before the government messed that one up :banghead: Still cycling at weekends, if it's not too wet or icy :rolleyes:
my advice would be more tolerant of the rain and less of the ice.
I wouldn't ride with any real risk of ice.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Most cyclists do walk however in daily life which is weight bearing without the impact load of running :okay:
If you’re going to run make sure you wear the correct footwear for your biomechanics to prevent injury

I also would never consider running on the road. Especially at my age. At least dirt trails have some give and is easier on the joints.

Top Bottom