Struggling to remove pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Ask a friend with a camping stove: try to use a canister with a combination of butane/propane because butane on its own produces a flame that isn't as hot. Heat for five minute until crank goes a bit red. Let it cool. Repeat. Use pedal spanner. Blowtorch also good but harder to obtain. Works for me. Since then I add copperslip or grease, and undo it a fraction once a year to stop it seizing. See also your seatpost.....

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Just used an allen key and levered with a metal pole from a gardening hoe. So, a fairly large lever arm.

Didn't budge one bit on either pedal :sad:.

I do feel a lot of the force was going into flexing the allen key itself

yello

In a word, leverage.

If you're turning the right way and not cross threaded then as @Big John says a decent length of pipe/extension. And, no, a vacuum cleaner pipe is not going to be up to it :laugh:

Any other method will need to broken spanners/knuckles/shins etc.

bridgy

Legendary Member
@straas I fully appreciate this may not help you if your pedals are really severley jammed, but for even if just for others coming across this thread, this video shows the best technique for removing pedals I've seen - simple but very effective. Hope you manage to get yours sorted somehow

View: https://youtu.be/qTtxoheAG10

Chislenko

Veteran
I suppose there is as a last resort, take the crank off, put pedal in a Miami and turn the crank arm.

Gunk

Guru
Forget WD 40, hammers, heat etc, the only way you’ll shift it is with serious leverage. That’s how the bike shops get them off.

Top Bottom