Struggling to remove pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
I installed some shimano M520 pedals on my 105 cranks 5 years ago and haven't touched them since.

I've been trying to remove them for the past week on and off - I've soaked them in WD40 daily, but they won't budge at all.

I've been using this spanner:
1612783409699.png
but seem to have bent one of the arms in my efforts.

Any tips?

(yes I know which way they turn)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Any tips?

PW-4_001.jpg

Pricey but hard to better

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
I tried a hairdryer on full but not much joy.

Freeeeezing outside aswell

Edit: I say not much joy, I definitely mean: Absolutely no joy, with a slice of misery

Are you trying to turn the pedal soanner by hand?
Either fit an extension pipe for more leverage or use some carefully controlled foot power.
As always, beware sharp chainring teeth.

Chislenko

Veteran
What I did once when faced with same problem (you need two people).

Park bike at corner of wall, turn pedal until the other pedal has the wall stopping it turning.

Get person B to push the bike down and hard so the pedal is stopped fast against the wall.

You can then use two hands on the pedal spanner / extension thus generating more power.

Not saying it is foolproof but worked for me.

NB. If you have strong railings trapping the other pedal between two railings also works providing you have person B holding the bike firm.

Last edited:
What I did once when faced with same problem (you need two people).

Park bike at corner of wall, turn pedal until the other pedal has the wall stopping it turning.

Get person B to push the bike down and hard so the pedal is stopped fast against the wall.

You can then use two hands on the pedal spanner / extension thus generating more power.

Not saying it is foolproof but worked for me.
I attack the problem thusly.
Put bike in biggest gear. Apply brakes.
Put crank forward and up (10:00)
Place spanner on oedal back and up ( 2:00)
Put foot on spanner. Gradual increase loading. Be careful of spanner coming off pedal.

Big John

Guru
We've never failed to shift a pedal at work. If you're turning it the correct way, and you say you are, then you're not using a big enough length of pipe. We've got a huge length of pipe and a park tools pedal spanner that's taken an endless battering for years, very similar to Roubaix Tuesday's photo but ours is older. We've not had to use WD40 or any other lotions or potions. Have you not managed to loosen one of them? It could even be that both have been cross threaded if neither are showing any signs of giving in. If that is the case then my condolences because that's bad news for the cranks.

Top Bottom