Struggling with knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I find any knee pain alleviated by regular quad stretching … as you cycle more your quads will contract slightly over time putting strain on your knees causing pain … whenever I suffer this a stretching regime for a week or so usually cures it .. I’d be surprised if it‘s cleat related.
Hope you get it sorted :okay:

Nebulous

Guru
I developed sore knees in 2019 in the inside of my knees on particularly long rides - I was convinced it was going to become chronic and worried about it. I use SPD-SL pedals with yellow cleats.

A bike fit saw my saddle raised 14 mm and my cleats adjusted to be slightly toe-in. I had set the cleats up as straight before, and had not had any problems in 8 years or so.

This cured my knees, but I ended up with achilles pain instead. I put the saddle back down about 4mm and the achilles pain has largely gone.

I suppose my point is - everything is great while it works, but once it goes wrong small changes can make a difference, but can also shift the problem to somewhere else. These things are complicated and often end up with some compromises.

Sharky

Guru
I had extreme pain in one of my knees. I was late arriving at the start of an early season hilly event. Didn't have time to warm up or apply embrocation. Rode the event fine, but a few days later had chronic knee pains that lasted for ages.

So always keep your knees covered when cold and warm up before high intensity exercise..

OP
OP
bencran

bencran

Thanks again everyone. Since resetting my cleats I found that my left foot wanted to unclip inwards when pedalling, so needed a slight adjustment.

I rode a short 10 miles on Zwift earlier and everything felt ok, although it’s still not how it should be.

I’ve bitten the bullet and booked a fit in next month. I have RideLondon coming up next year and could do with being relatively comfortable for 6 or so hours in the saddle.

cheers again!

CXRAndy

Guru
I’ve bitten the bullet and booked a fit in next month. I have RideLondon coming up next year and could do with being relatively comfortable for 6 or so hours in the saddle.
You'd better be sorted. Riding 6 hours with discomfort will lead to long term strain injury

newts

Veteran
I had right knee pain when when i first used spd-sl cleats, this was sorted during a bike/shoe fit session.
My right knee was dropping away to the outside during the revolution of the pedal (vertical laser line aimed through the pedal stroke), a small wedge corrected the tracking & the knee pain disappeared. It was suggested that the issue was caused by a tight hip/IT band weakness.

Last edited:

Caperider

My wife is a spin instructor and when she sets up a rider she has them sit on the bike put pedals at 3 and 9 oclock and your knee cap should be over your forward toe .if not she lowers or raised the saddle.she been teaching 17 years. It always seems to work out ok . And lidacaine 4% patches work well for knee pain and in the states they are over the counter .good luck . id loose the clips for a while and see how they feel .

Top Bottom