Struggling with knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bencran

Hi guys,

I totally backed off the bike this summer due to knee pain, but since it’s gotten fairly awful outside and I don’t fancy running anymore, I’m back on the turbo in the garage.

I need some advice on cleat fitment, as I think this is my issue.

I have medial knee pain on my left knee due to cycling. I set my cleats up last year and have suffered with some issues ever since. I’ve followed advice online and just can’t seem to find the sweet spot.

I also feel a little pain on the outside of my foot and sometimes get numb toes.

Most articles I’ve read state that this is likely to do with tight shoes, or cleats. My shoes aren’t tight! So must be the cleats.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice?

I’ve basically reset my cleat position to play around tomorrow.

Thanks!

Oh, I also don’t have the finances at present to get a proper bike fit. Which may be my undoing!

vickster

Legendary Member
what cleat system, SPD or SPD-SL/Look? If the latter do you have the ones with more float?

What happens if you simply switch back to flat pedals and normal shoes? That’ll be simplest and cheapest, no need to clip in, especially on a turbo if it’s causing you pain.

You do not want chronic knee issues! If you do end up with an intractable issue, Physios who do bike assessments tend to be cheaper than bike shops that do fits, maybe £100.

OP
OP
bencran

bencran

Thanks for the replies.

I don’t have any other pedals to try. I must say I bought Look Keo 3 classic pedals when I bought the bike and had never used them before. I had shimano on my last bike, never any knee pain. Although I’m not sure it’s anything to do with the actual pedal… is it?

Hi guys,

I totally backed off the bike this summer due to knee pain, but since it’s gotten fairly awful outside and I don’t fancy running anymore, I’m back on the turbo in the garage.

I need some advice on cleat fitment, as I think this is my issue.

I have medial knee pain on my left knee due to cycling. I set my cleats up last year and have suffered with some issues ever since. I’ve followed advice online and just can’t seem to find the sweet spot.

I also feel a little pain on the outside of my foot and sometimes get numb toes.

Most articles I’ve read state that this is likely to do with tight shoes, or cleats. My shoes aren’t tight! So must be the cleats.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice?

I’ve basically reset my cleat position to play around tomorrow.

Thanks!

Oh, I also don’t have the finances at present to get a proper bike fit. Which may be my undoing!

A few assumptions in there.

Your feet swell as you cycle and they get warmer so although they may not be tight they might pinch as you ride. (My shoes are two sizes up)

I can't ride static bikes for any length of time. You are locked in one position - so it's harder on the joints. I use a spin bike now - but even then I can't do much.

If it's that bad get a proper bike fit - if cost is an issue do as @vickster says and ride with flats

Bear in mind if you have inflamed or strained something - it will take a while to settle. Even with precision fitted kit.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies.

I don’t have any other pedals to try. I must say I bought Look Keo 3 classic pedals when I bought the bike and had never used them before. I had shimano on my last bike, never any knee pain. Although I’m not sure it’s anything to do with the actual pedal… is it?
Just buy some Wellgo flats or similar for £15 from Amazon. Or put a wanted ad in the Classifieds, someone will possibly have something they could sell you. If you have a friendly LBS, they might have something in their spares box to fit for a few quid.

Shimano what? Are you using the same shoes? Maybe it’s also down to the bike set up if it’s new…??

Last edited:
Did you have knee pain when you cycled before you set up your cleats?
Please don't try to cycle through knee pain - especially if you've not had advice from a sports physio about if its safe for you, and how to do so correctly. It is much too easy to permanently damage your knee joint.

If you ride with flats for a few months and find your natural foot position, you will be able to feel when cleats are rights when you return to clipless.
Rest your knee from cycling. Stretch and build up muscle as required then return to cycling using lower gears.

Kajjal

Guru
As above get some light weight mountain bike flats as they provide a stable platform, grip well and will allow your feet to find their natural position. Saddle position can also influence knee pain fore / aft or up / down. Having a saddle to high causes all kinds of issues as your body over stretches to the pedals and tenses up due to this.

Sharky

Guru
I don't think it would be the cleats, especially if you are using the red ones with max float. Unless you have them so far rotated that you cannot get a natural position.

Check saddle height as mentioned above. Leg should always be slightly bent at the knee when at the 6 o clock position.

Use the lowest gear possible at all times and keep cadence high.

Always keep the knees covered, except when really hot.

Also check that the pedal spindle is not bent and the cranks are true.

Hope it gets better.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Knee pain is often due to the cleats "pointing" your feet in a direction that doesn't come naturally. Sit on a kitchen worktop, dangle your feet over the edge, and relax. Make a note of where each foot points. One might point straight ahead and the other point outwards. There are lots of variants. What you want to do is set each cleat's angle so that each foot is at the same angle (when clipped in) as when your feet were dangling. This should minimise the stress on your knees when you are riding.

Good luck.

OP
OP
bencran

bencran

Thank you everyone.
I’ve read through the advice and have a few things to work through now.

simongt

Guru
From my side bencran, I haven't 'done' running since my days in uniform back in the early '70s, my view being that only humans are prepared to run for miles unlike other mammals. Also, because of early onset of arthritis in both knees, it's a no no anyway. However, put me on a bike, and I can go for miles and miles because obviously my knees aren't supporting my measily weight of 63kg.
I've known other cyclists of similar age; late 60s, who have trouble with walking, but can equally cycle for miles. Maybe your history of running may have had some detrimental effect - ?

Top Bottom