stuck bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Do you not have a local bike shop nearby? I personally wouldn't trust a Halfords mechanic with such a job. Use Evans if you must.

Are you unscrewing it the right way? - have to ask as you never know.

Presumably you have a push fit BB30 to square taper bracket installed - can you unscrew the other side and then pull the stuck side out?

OP
OP
R

roger44

Im pretty sure Im unscrewing the right way, I havent done one in years. Its been in there about 10 years and wont move at all, Ive applied wd40.
Im pretty sure the drive side wont come out unless I release it first.
reluctant to hammer it any more as Im damaging it

gazza1286

Locking ring - counter-clockwise to remove;

Adjustable cup (non-drive side) - counter-clockwise to remove

Fixed cup (drive side) - clockwise to remove.

Are you using the correct spanner to undo the lock-ring or just a hammer and nail punch?

OP
OP
R

roger44

If your issue is that the tool is jumping, you can get a crank bolt to bolt it to the spindle. If you need more leverage can you put the tool in a big, solid vice, and use the bike as the lever?

thats a good idea, I could rig that myself.

OP
OP
R

roger44

well all you clever devils, you were right.
I was able to remove the drive side easily, and then hammer the bb out, it was well corroded in there.
All I have to do now is get out the locking side. Gods knows how Im going to do that, its getting a good soaking first.

Im wondering if a HOT AIR gun would help without damaging the paintwork.

NickNick

well all you clever devils, you were right.
I was able to remove the drive side easily, and then hammer the bb out, it was well corroded in there.
All I have to do now is get out the locking side. Gods knows how Im going to do that, its getting a good soaking first.

Im wondering if a HOT AIR gun would help without damaging the paintwork.

Heat can definitely help dislodge a stubborn one but there's a pretty high chance of damaging the paintwork ime.

Top Bottom