stuck bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

roger44

I love the internet, you can find the answer to anything, thanks guys

OP
OP
R

roger44

well I have to say so many thanks to all you guys that offered encouragement, advice and went to the trouble of searching you tube for me,
Its finally given in and is coming out,
I was the skewer that did it. I rigged something up and its turning
Ive just come in to say thank you all, and Im having a cup of tea while it soaks a bit more in wd40

the worst is over, should be back on the road next week

OP
OP
R

roger44

OK guys, next question
the new ISIS 68/73 BB is too long and I cant tighten the drive side all the way up to the housing face.
It came with a plastic square washer and an O ring.
I have fitted the chain ring and it looks as though it needs to move inboard about 2 mm to be equi spaced about the cassette.
Have I got the wrong size BB? Do I need additional plastic spacers???
I have asked a two different bike shops and they say I shouldnt need spacers at all. if thats the case, I have the wrong size BB

Tim Hall

OK guys, next question
the new ISIS 68/73 BB is too long and I cant tighten the drive side all the way up to the housing face.
It came with a plastic square washer and an O ring.
I have fitted the chain ring and it looks as though it needs to move inboard about 2 mm to be equi spaced about the cassette.
Have I got the wrong size BB? Do I need additional plastic spacers???
I have asked a two different bike shops and they say I shouldnt need spacers at all. if thats the case, I have the wrong size BB
IME the drive side is put in first, so it should tighten to the housing face. Then do the non drive/adjustable side as far is it will go. Then have another look at the spacing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the new ISIS 68/73 BB is too long
What is the BB you're trying to fit? (link?) What is the writing on it? It can't be 68 AND 73 [Edit: this is wrong - it can be - thank you TH].
What is the dimension of the frame (face to face)?

Last edited:

Tim Hall

What is the BB you're trying to fit? (link?) What is the writing on it? It can't be 68 AND 73.
What is the dimension of the frame (face to face)?
Yes it can. Here's a link to one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kooka-Is...578549?hash=item3d3e70b3f5:g:srkAAOSwl-FXMxhr

I think the 5mm difference is done with a spacer. Anyway, back to the drive side not going in: That suggests perhaps the thread in the shell is damaged. Getting that cleared and the drive side all the way in should fix the chainline issue. The length of the axle is what determines the the chainline not the shell width.

OP
OP
R

roger44

Kooka Isis Bottom Bracket 68/73 shell 113 axle

frame measures 68mm

upload_2017-12-5_13-40-44.png

and here is why I think Im on a hiding to nothing, the distance between the two flanges when fully assembled on the BB is 77mm.
so how the hell can that assemble to a frame width of 68

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roger44

fully in the dist between the flanges isd 77mm it floats nicely but wont go in any closer than 77mm

its as though the floating ring is too long, If I was to cut 10mm off it, it would fit perfectly

Last edited:

Tim Hall

fully in the dist between the flanges isd 77mm it floats nicely but wont go in any closer than 77mm
Going back a step or two, the drive side (fixed cup) should/must go in until it's hard against the BB shell. Did the old cup get destroyed during removal? If not, can you try screwing that in and see how far it goes? BB thread are quite fine, so cross threading is an easy thing to do.

OP
OP
R

roger44

the old bracket is threaded much shorter 13mm compared to the new one 18mm.
and the old floating ring is also much shorter in threaded length.
I need to get this new bracket changed, dont I, its never going to fit unless i fit a load of spacers under the flanges to pack it out, but thats ont going to cure the chainline

Top Bottom