Stuck carbon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
These carbon spacers are stuck to the alloy stem. Anything that will help loosen them. Tried gripping to twist, hammer to go down and heat and cold. No joy yet.

Attachments

• P1020144.JPG
    P1020144.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 7

Big John

Guru
Fair play....not heard of that one before, until today. I work for a bike charity and had a similar thing happen this morning. I'm pretty sure, though, that you may have tried this already. Spray some GT85 on the rings, take a rubber mallet and whack the steerer. Good luck.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
My strategy would be to get the steerer tube cold. - Aluminium should shrink ever so slightly whilst the carbon less so. But you're saying you already tried that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
My strategy would be to get the steerer tube cold. - Aluminium should shrink ever so slightly whilst the carbon less so. But your saying you already tried that?
That was my original thought. I will try it again and try to do it better. Thanks.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had similar with alloy spacers, in the end i got a chisel and twatted it to separate the spacers one at a time , the steerer tube had anodized (?) to the spacers and i had to sand it smooth again to remover the deposits .In the end i binned the frame anyway as it had a cracked down tube .

Mole grips on the spacers and then twist the forks and not the spacers?

Have you tried any release spray?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Warm lemon juice.

The slight oxidation on the alloy parts causes it to 'grow' very slightly. Can't remember the proper term, but it's what 'throws' the paint off aluminium and causes stainless bolts to seize in alumnium. Regular penetrating fluid (Plusgas) might soak in and break down the bond by lubrication, but the acids in lemon juice will chemically remove it without any collateral damage.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Warm lemon juice.

The slight oxidation on the alloy parts causes it to 'grow' very slightly. Can't remember the proper term, but it's what 'throws' the paint off aluminium and causes stainless bolts to seize in alumnium. Regular penetrating fluid (Plusgas) might soak in and break down the bond by lubrication, but the acids in lemon juice will chemically remove it without any collateral damage.
And what's left you can put the hummus (see Food and Drink thread)

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Warm lemon juice.

ohh, I like that , lemon juice ! I have tried various grips and penetrating oils but all to no avail. I think the chap just washed it so often (as it was spotless) that it had removed any lubricant that was there. It looks like they will have to be cut off if the lemon juice doesn't work.

Top Bottom