Stuck quill stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The quill stem on my audax bike is stuck. I can loosen the bolt , but no matter how much I tap/hit the bolt the expander nut will not let go. I want to overhaul the headset, so any suggestions? Or is it a bike shop job?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Hmmm. An alloy part seized inside a steel one. This sounds familiar.

Try turning the bike upside down, then run penetrating oil into the open end of the steerer tube. Let it soak for a day or two, then try again.

Hit that bolt really hard - the worst that can happen is that you strip the thread in the expander bolt and have to buy a new one or a new stem.

If penetrating oil won't shift it, you could try the same trick but with caustic soda solution (sold for cleaning drains from ironmongers and hardware shops - be careful with it; it's nasty stuff).

If you cover the bolt with a bit of wood I would think you could give it a good whack with a hammer without breaking/damaging anything.

Anyway, usual thing I guess - a few cycles of squirt & leave with WD40 or similar.

Maybe you can also squirt it from underneath if it's exposed at all through the fork crown.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Cheers guys, front brake and mudguard is off and penetrating oil is soaking in at at this very moment.

e-rider

crappy member
use a wooden mallet and really give it some - if that doesn't work send/take it to a frame builder such as Mercian or Argos and pay them to get it out - usually about £15 and a million times less effort than continuing yourself - which always results in frame damage and a stem that is still stuck!

dodgy

Take the bolt out and ride the bike for a few hundred miles, the quill will come loose - but possible at the least convenient time :tongue:

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Take the bolt out and ride the bike for a few hundred miles, the quill will come loose - but possible at the least convenient time :tongue:

Do you think I would of got more than a few yards?:rolleyes:

The headset has been serviced, but the expander nut is still stuck in the steerer tube. I took the bolt right out to release the forks and when I put it back together, the stem went straight back onto the expander and I re-inserted the bolt and did it all up. Still leaves the problem of the stuck expander. Job for another day me thinks.:angry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just support the fork solidly and whack it hard with a big hammer, it will go.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
So it's a steel expander cone wedged inside a steel steerer tube. A different problem.

If you're able to get the fork off the bike (and you can, because you've had the headset apart), a combination of gentle heat and percussion should shift it. Rest a bit of rod or tube against the expander inside the steerer and hit the other end of the rod with a hammer.

But as you say, until you want to adjust the stem height, it's not a problem.

(You know you're not going to sleep properly until it's done, though, don't you?)

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Job all done now with a metal drift (an old large screwdriver) and a big hammer. Thanks for the info guys.:hello:

Top Bottom