Stuck saddle bolt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darrensmith0410

Trying to change my saddle is proving difficult. I'm a complete novice when it comes to bike mechanics, however it seems to be a 'single bolt clamp'. The bolt is steadfast, I've tried an allen key, tapping it with a hammer to loosen it but nothing is working. Searching the internet only brings up stuck seat posts!

Would be grateful for any tips.

U

User6179

Drill it out, the bolt should be made of cheese

gbb

Legendary Member
Is it the bolt under the saddle that's upside down ? ie there's no nut involved

Remove the seatpost and saddle, soak the bolt in WD or plusgas or similar and let it soak. Have a cuppa, relax. Try again.
How good are your allen keys, are they cheap short ones ? You can't get much leverage with them, in which case you can use a ring spanner over the end to increase leverage...like this..

OP
OP
darrensmith0410

darrensmith0410

Is it the bolt under the saddle that's upside down ? ie there's no nut involved

Remove the seatpost and saddle, soak the bolt in WD or plusgas or similar and let it soak. Have a cuppa, relax. Try again.
How good are your allen keys, are they cheap short ones ? You can't get much leverage with them, in which case you can use a ring spanner over the end to increase leverage...like this..

Yes I’m using crappy little Allen keys, will give this a try. Thanks.

Have you drank blood of the sacrificial lamb? Sometimes my bolts won't come loose until I've honored Odin.

Tim Hall

Have you drank blood of the sacrificial lamb? Sometimes my bolts won't come loose until I've honored Odin.
Blood sacrifice is important in these cases, but it's usually just enough to give some of your own from, for example, a scraped knuckle. This is where the crappy little Allen keys come into play, as they'll let go at just the right moment.

Top Bottom