Studded 27.5 Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking for some studded 27.5 x 2.4" tyres (or maybe a little narrower) that aren't extortionately priced. I think it might be timing, and low stock supplies with winter advancing, but I'm struggling to find anything below £60 per tyre. Sadly I couldn't plan ahead this year as I was surprised by my new bikes wheels, 27.5" not, 29" (which I have in storage)

Does anyone have any tips?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 27.5 x 2.25” £44.31 from Germany, postage may be £6.95?
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy...MIp-28qN725QIVh7HtCh0pXwezEAkYASABEgJlpfD_BwE

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get googling. You are looking at about £90 a pair at best for Ice Spikers. Got those myself a couple of years ago for £90. Worth ordering the replacement spike pack - Ice Spikers take the alloy and steel 'pointy' spikes, but either will do. PS they are incredibly noisy, so if intending mainly tarmac, look for a lesser studded tyre. If doing mainly off road, they are better.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well you learn something new everyday, I thought studded and spiked were both the same.

I expect you've researched it by now, but studs on a shallow tread are good for ice and spikes on a chunky tread are good for snow.

I have studded tyres.

The performance on ice, including black ice, is very good.

It's possible to cycle carefully in conditions in which it would be hard to stand up.

Stopping can be a problem because the foot you put down slips unexpectedly.

saiadave

I already had in storage, 26" wheels and 26" Schwalbe winter Marathon tyres from a previous bike. With the same cassette as my 27.5" wheeled mountain bike. Use of the 26" wheels and winter tyres has worked well with no issues over the last 3 winters - so that could be another option.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I already had in storage, 26" wheels and 26" Schwalbe winter Marathon tyres from a previous bike. With the same cassette as my 27.5" wheeled mountain bike. Use of the 26" wheels and winter tyres has worked well with no issues over the last 3 winters - so that could be another option.

Good thought.

The OP said he has 29er wheels.

They might fit.

The Suntour front fork on my 27.5" ebike is marked '29er' so I expect the larger wheel would fit the OP's bike on the front.

If the back fits it would raise the gearing I reckon by about one gear.

Shouldn't be a problem provided the OP isn't struggling in first on hills with the current set-up.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Looks like the 27.5 Marathon Plus Winters have been discontinued by Schwalbe which explains the crazy prices for remaining stock.

Using my 29" wheels isn't an option due to a bunch of compatibility issues with the hubs/frame.

The only other option I can find in 27.5" are the Ice Spikers, but as @Pale Rider mentioned, ideally I want studs, not spikes. Seen as though I'm riding mostly roads, I don't want aggressive tread either, so ice spikers are not in the running for now. I might just have to shelve the ebike for the worst of the winter which is a bit of a shame, as I only just got my hands on it. At least I've still go my push bike. If anyone comes across a new pair, you know where to find me.:okay:

Top Bottom