Stuff Clarkson, lets get Martin involved.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
You forget that Top Gear is reality comedy TV. Guy is more a stunt man but anyway,nothing will work.

Clarkson has bullied the shape of his co-presenters. Remove him and you will also remove the co-presenters as they are now, them having adapted to survive Clarkson rule.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Guy Martin wouldn't do it. He's said in the past he doesn't like doing too much telly and he's much happier fixing trucks. I say bring back William Woollard.
I've a lot of time for Guy Martin, but he's not TG material unless it had a very major overhaul and even then I don't think he'd enjoy it and that would probably show instantly. Does anyone in the 'yes' camp remember when they tried him on the one off 'one man & his dog'?

If they are going to just try and rejig then I think Chris Evans is a good suggestion, he's changed a lot in the last decade but it'd probably be best to just let it die and see if there's space for something new in a couple of years. Incidentally, I think the Classic Car show (while it has a fair chunk of failings) is probably a clever way to go with motoring programs. As TG has shown, there's no real interest in the bland affordable cars that everyone is driving today so it makes much more sense to go with some kind of exotica and classics is a pretty safe direction to aim in when it comes to car enthusiasts.

D

Deleted member 26715

I like him in small doses, but he is irritating and I couldn't see him fronting anything that didn't need a lot of editing first. Certainly not the 'live' recording of TG.
I think Guy is great, but he's certainly not right for TG, but just as a matter of interest which bit of TG do you think is actually live, as in not 'oh let's do that again' 'audience you didn't laugh properly, let's do that again' not edited live.

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 3592319, member: 45"]I'd like to be there to watch the team rearrange the audience so that the ugly blokes are out of sight and the pretty ladies right behind the presenters.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the guy in the Help for Heroes kit, who may have some limbs missing, for added authenticity.

I think Guy is great, but he's certainly not right for TG, but just as a matter of interest which bit of TG do you think is actually live, as in not 'oh let's do that again' 'audience you didn't laugh properly, let's do that again' not edited live.
None of it. That's why I typed "live". The American TV shows used to have the announcer say 'filmed live before a studio audience' before some of the older comedy shows, TG studio bits are probably much the same. I doubt they have a sign flashing 'LAUGH' or a bloke holding up signs on when to applaud though.
The audience is a successful part of the format. I'm not sure it would have been as successful if it had just been the presenters droning on as with the previous version of TG.Despite the attempts of 5th Gear and The Classic Car Show the live/audience do seem to be bits they're missing.

The American version of TG, from what I've seen on satellite TV in Brazil, they dropped the studio parts completely and just do the 'challenge' type programs. Winner of the challenge gets to drive that weeks flavour of supercar. It's different - I got used to the format - but the presenters are all fairly forgettable despite the blatant attempts to get a UK TG type banter going between them.

If they are going to just try and rejig then I think Chris Evans is a good suggestion, he's changed a lot in the last decade but it'd probably be best to just let it die and see if there's space for something new in a couple of years. Incidentally, I think the Classic Car show (while it has a fair chunk of failings) is probably a clever way to go with motoring programs. As TG has shown, there's no real interest in the bland affordable cars that everyone is driving today so it makes much more sense to go with some kind of exotica and classics is a pretty safe direction to aim in when it comes to car enthusiasts.
Suppose that's the point of TG, even when they have driven something fairly normal they made some sort of race out of it, locally for example it was a Alfa 156 vs. a bloke walking across the Humber River. They've made car shows entertainment not reviews - I can get any number of them by googling.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Top Gear is boring now... time to get a new format and new presenters... let James May go so he can continue to do those excellent engineering/ test rig programmes that Adam Hart-Davis used to do, so he doesn't have to put up with the other two. Hammond is OK for that obstacle race programme... Clarkson is old and difficult and has too many hang-ups to be credible anymore... besides which he is anti-cycling.

Peteaud

Veteran
Top Gear is boring now... time to get a new format and new presenters... let James May go so he can continue to do those excellent engineering/ test rig programmes that Adam Hart-Davis used to do, so he doesn't have to put up with the other two. Hammond is OK for that obstacle race programme... Clarkson is old and difficult and has too many hang-ups to be credible anymore... besides which he is anti-cycling.

Pretty much my view, but i cant stand the little bloke.

Top Bottom