Stuff sack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ootini

Hi,

I've recently bought myself a new sleeping bag as my previous bag was pretty much knackered. I didn't buy anything to posh, just a low end Vango. The bag is great, but the stuff sack is naff, looks like the stitching is already giving up and it doesn't compress the bag down enough, even on full compression the bag is a ball shape. What I'm after is a compression sack that will keep the sleeping bag in a more cylindrical shape for strapping to the top of the pannier rack. Does anyone have any suggestions? Waterproof would be a bonus, but not essential.

andym

Über Member
I've only ever come across one stuff sack that worked side-to-side as opposed to end-to-end. I'd suggest that the best option would be to get some Velcro cinch straps. These for example:

Amazon.co.uk 50cm velcro cinch straps

EDIT: these may be even better although they're quite long.

PS I'm not sure I'd particularly recommend strapping the sleeping bag to the top of the pannier rack. Inside the pannier might be better, or at least drier - and strap the tent to the top of the pannier rack. If you do decide to strap it to the top of the pannier rack then go for a dry bag rather than something that's designed to be carried inside a backpack.

Last edited:

andym

Über Member
Funnily enough this post reminded me to check what had happened to the bag and stuff sack for my sleeping quilt. So I rechecked the length of the Velcro stretchy straps I've been using and they are the 68cm ones so I think that's the size to go for. EDIT: actually the 50cm ones work beautifully. The stretchy ones are good for strapping stuff to the pannier rack.

Velcro cinch straps are so useful: attaching stuff to the pannier rack or water bottles to the frame etc etc.

You might also want to try these guys:

http://adjustable-straps.com/#elasticinch

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Roughly what size (in litres) is required for your average synthetic sleeping bag? It's a Vango Wilderness 250 btw.

tournut

Hi,

I've recently bought myself a new sleeping bag as my previous bag was pretty much knackered. I didn't buy anything to posh, just a low end Vango. The bag is great, but the stuff sack is naff, looks like the stitching is already giving up and it doesn't compress the bag down enough, even on full compression the bag is a ball shape. What I'm after is a compression sack that will keep the sleeping bag in a more cylindrical shape for strapping to the top of the pannier rack. Does anyone have any suggestions? Waterproof would be a bonus, but not essential.
Only thing i can think of army navy store, and if not waterproof use bin bag then the stuff sack.

sidevalve

Über Member
When I used to go camping a lot I just used the leg off an old pair of jeans and a couple of cheap tie down straps. Not very pretty but then I was camping not posing.

Top Bottom