Stuff wot dont last (sic)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Example 1 - 2 years and 5 month old 43 Inch Panasonic SMART LED TV - LED Back Light is capputtt.......Out Of Warranty Of Course (£350)
Example 2 - 2 years old Lenovo Yoga Laptop - No Screen (something to do with the fact the screen bends back on itself). Out Of Warranty Of Course (£600)

My tech brand loyaltly is taking a bashing this year.

Anyone else fed up with **it not lasting.

vickster

Legendary Member
I try to buy consumer electronics, white goods etc from John Lewis for the longer warranties ;)
Some banks/credit cards offer extended warranties too

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
thanks guys, i've just ask Currys to see if the TV can be fixed, economically. Prices from £95, excluding parts!
Lets see

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
In general, tech is where you're going wrong; although saying that I'm writing this message using a 13 year old PC and 17 year old monitor.

Really all you can do is limit your exposure in terms of the products you choose to own (I don't have a telly, nor any "smart" devices for example) and try to ensure that those you do buy are from reputable manufacturers with a decent rep for reliability.

Generally I do OK in this regard, however I've recently bought a used Lenovo laptop and must admit that I've seen quite a few squiffy ones at work, so perhaps the brand's not so great in this regard.

That said, I've always disliked laptops to a point as they're much more of a sealed / throwaway-and-replace product than a desktop equivalent.. I only really have it as I like to be lazy and peruse the net in bed..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That said, I've always disliked laptops to a point as they're much more of a sealed / throwaway-and-replace product than a desktop equivalent.. I only really have it as I like to be lazy and peruse the net in bed..
Tablets are much better for that!

I like my Lenovo laptop, apart from the fact that I blew one of its 2 speakers, and a few keys are the wrong size or poorly located.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Example 1 - 2 years and 5 month old 43 Inch Panasonic SMART LED TV - LED Back Light is capputtt.......Out Of Warranty Of Course (£350)
Example 2 - 2 years old Lenovo Yoga Laptop - No Screen (something to do with the fact the screen bends back on itself). Out Of Warranty Of Course (£600)

My tech brand loyaltly is taking a bashing this year.

Anyone else fed up with **it not lasting.

"I bought cheap shoot and it didn't last". Well, colour me surprised.

As a rule of thumb, if it costs the same in cash terms as a similar decent product would have done 20 years ago it's a pile of junk and you shouldn't be surprised when it fails. The brand name is almost irrelevant.

vickster

Legendary Member
A £350 TV with a Panasonic badge is unlikely to have been made by Panasonic, more likely a rebadge made by a 3rd party like Vestel (similar to Toshiba, Sharp, Bush among others)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had a couple of £450 laptops pack up on me after a couple of years. They were supposedly reputable brands, HP and Samsung. When I had to buy yet another one, I invested £100 in a five year warranty. Pretty much all consumer stuff is a disposable these days.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mine was still going fine after 8 years, I just fancied a more economical upgrade
My washer-dryer was like James's machine. The 5 year warranty ran out and the machine packed up a week or so later.

I once had an idek iiyama monitor which popped a couple of weeks out of warranty. I phone their customer support line and was assured by a very helpful operative that I was (*cough*) mistaken about the date... I still had a few weeks of the warranty left. They sorted it out for me free of charge.

Many years ago I had an Endura cycling jacket's zip fail a month out of warranty. Once more, I got a replacement f.o.c. - I was told that they had been supplied a batch of faulty zips so they were replacing any that failed, no questions asked.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Tablets are much better for that!

I like my Lenovo laptop, apart from the fact that I blew one of its 2 speakers, and a few keys are the wrong size or poorly located.

I cant get on with touch screen stuff , i much prefer keybaord / mouse .I can just about manage basic stuff on the mobile phone but cant get my head around anything else .

Top Bottom