Stuff wot dont last (sic)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
"I bought cheap shoot and it didn't last". Well, colour me surprised.

As a rule of thumb, if it costs the same in cash terms as a similar decent product would have done 20 years ago it's a pile of junk and you shouldn't be surprised when it fails. The brand name is almost irrelevant.

yes you are right, I should have either paid double the price (that I could not afford) or by a half the size screen (would still have the potential to fail). Are you saying that if I had spend say £1000 on a backlit LED TV it would not fail. People with infinite pots of cash are just the best.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Washing machines

I'm sure they have a 25month timer on them.

Out of warranty right time to go belly up!!

This. Ours packed up just over the 2 year labour warrenty (10 years parts) so it was cheaper to get the extended warrenty than the call out fee. I no longer worry about putting muddy MTB gear in it. Ahem.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This. Ours packed up just over the 2 year labour warrenty (10 years parts) so it was cheaper to get the extended warrenty than the call out fee. I no longer worry about putting muddy MTB gear in it. Ahem.

i always pay for the manufacturer extended warranty on my laptop , it was a lot cheaper than the retail version and when my old one went tits up earlier this year it paid off

Washing machines

I'm sure they have a 25month timer on them.

Out of warranty right time to go belly up!!
The problem with washing machines is that the bushings wear away and eventually the drum stops spinning. We take out the extended warranty on them as a way of prepaying for the inevitable repair but with the added comfort that if the bushings are unavailable then they’ll replace with new. Must of had our Bosch one repaired twice now and it’s still going strong after 8 years. Once it was bushings, the other a little cable tie had broken.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Tablets are much better for that!

I like my Lenovo laptop, apart from the fact that I blew one of its 2 speakers, and a few keys are the wrong size or poorly located.

Aye, typically I like them too - although I'd love to be introduced to whoever thought it was a good idea to put the sodding Fn key where the rest of the civilised world expects to find Ctrl... :angry:

Hornchurch

- Lenovo Yoga Laptop

My tech brand loyalty is taking a bashing this year.

I wouldn't touch a Lenovo nor an Acer with a barge pole !

Luckily for both 'Me/Myself/I' & my family, I steered them into buying "Fujitsu-Siemens" laptops - (using it to type this, now)

"Fujitsu-Siemens" - Japanese casings & build-quality, with German "electrics" & motherboard.

Build quality is "2nd to none" = Reliability is also "2nd to none" too.

This one I'm using now was bought 'BNIB' (new), back in 2012 and it still runs like a Greyhound**//Ussain Bolt - (**Dog, not Bus !)

Liked it / Loved it SO MUCH, that both my Father & I have luckily tracked-down two of the latest models, (as yet, unopened !)

We've bought those two 'in advance', because we both know/realise that "Windows.7" won't (sadly) run-forever (sighs !)

I've used my G/f's "Apple-Mac" & FWIW, I think they're over-rated, plus, I don't like "Safari" much.

Having said that, I am running IOS & therefore "Safari" on my mobile phone, also an Apple i-Phone.

I was SO impressed with my "Fujitsu", that I went out the following year & bought a 2nd one as a 'back-up', but it hasn't been needed.

So today, now, we have FIVE of them in the house, with (as explained), TWO of them, as yet, unopened.

Am still running Windows.7 -(full-suite)- and like I said, it's speed & reliability are just mindblowing

Doesn't always work this way, but....

As I've found personally (since 1960's), it's often false-economy to buy a cheaper product that just won't "last the course"

One notable exception that I found, was my lone/single "SQUIER STRATOCASTER" electric guitar.

It was an "AFFINITY" model Squier - the "cheap as chips" rubber-mat version !

I've also got five full-blown U.S.A models, costing ten times the price, but the Indonesian Squire IS a revelation.

Ok, it's got cheaper (much cheaper) parts on the hardware, like bridge, tuning-keys, etc.

But as I've always said (since I bought it), it has NO RIGHT being as good as it is, considering just how cheap it is/was (from 'New')

It only cost £119.00 - (bought new, back in 1999), whereas my U.S.A Deluxe was around £1,295 - (again, 'new' back in 2005)

But personally speaking, I wouldn't waste (more) money trying to fix a low-grade/low-rent item - (throwing good money, after bad !)

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I like my Lenovo laptop
That'll be in a charity shop for a fiver one day!:whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That'll be in a charity shop for a fiver one day!:whistle:
Probably not until I'm dead - I tend to horde tech kit!

I have 2 old working Dell laptops sitting around doing nothing. A Win 10** desktop that I have only switched on a couple of times since 2012 because my damaged left leg stops me sitting at a desk these days. I also have an old netbook. And an old tablet. I did have a couple of spare smartphones but I gave those away.

** It started off with Win 7 but I switched it on in 2015, upgraded it to Win 10, and then switched it off again! :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
450 quid for a laptop!!:ohmy: Yet they're mocking me for paying a fiver for one that's lasted 13 years and still works!!:rolleyes:

When I was wondering what to buy, I went into a crazy frenzy of upgrade fever. By the time I got up to £1400, I realised it was all getting a bit daft so I settled on the £450 laptop that was £30 cheaper than the one I had bought two years earlier. It does everything I need. Why have a load of junk features that are never used?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When I was wondering what to buy, I went into a crazy frenzy of upgrade fever. By the time I got up to £1400, I realised it was all getting a bit daft so I settled on the £450 laptop that was £30 cheaper than the one I had bought two years earlier. It does everything I need. Why have a load of junk features that are never used?

I'm not into that 'upgrade' thingy. I simply use a laptop for leisure and pleasure, not for working purposes.:okay:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
yes you are right, I should have either paid double the price (that I could not afford) or by a half the size screen (would still have the potential to fail). Are you saying that if I had spend say £1000 on a backlit LED TV it would not fail. People with infinite pots of cash are just the best.

£350 would have bought a very good quality smaller TV. Or add the two together - £1000 would have bought a decent quality desktop PC with a good monitor.

Yes, a £1000 LED backlit TV (whatever one of those is) will be more reliable than a £350 one.

Top Bottom