Stuff wot dont last (sic)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Most people have all they can use, so the only way to 'grow the economy' is to induce them to throw stuff away and buy new more often, then once enough people start throwing stuff away after a couple of years, manufacturers are not going to make products that last for 5 or 10 years if it costs them more to do so.
I cant get on with touch screen stuff
Touch screens are a PITA.
Firstly, there's the parallax because the display and touch-sensitive surface lie on different planes, then I prefer to feel the button before I press it, but most of all, they just don't effin work reliably! I end up punching my fingertip through the screen, or screwing it into the screen like I'm stubbing out a dog-end, and they still don't respond.

presta

Guru
LED Back Light is capputtt

LCD has a backlight, the reason LED is more efficient is that it doesn't.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
LCD has a backlight, the reason LED is more efficient is that it doesn't.

A lot of 'LED' screens are still actually LCDs, they just use LED backlights instead of the cold cathode fluorescent tube type of backlight used in years gone by.

Yes, OLED displays are LED technology and don't have backlights.

Gillstay

Über Member
For being a good employee I received a Chinese flask. It lasted a week. My chum also won one and his did one day. What a waste to bring all the way to the UK.

Jameshow

Veteran
For being a good employee I received a Chinese flask. It lasted a week. My chum also won one and his did one day. What a waste to bring all the way to the UK.

How did they brake.

After my wife grans funeral we were given two old Thermos flasks which belonged to her , which were hastily packed into the full boot. When we arrived home I opened up the boot and guess what fell out! Opps

I think I was able to break the fall of one but the other.....

Stephenite

Membå
Do you get different products then???

The same stuff.

Consumers rights advice Norway in English.

“You may complain about a faulty product for up to 5 years after purchase, depending on how long the product is meant to last. When buying from private individuals, the statutory warranty period is 2 years.”

“The statutory warranty period depends on how long the product is meant to last when subjected to normal use. Sofas and mobile phones are examples of products with a 5-year warranty period.”

The OPs tv and laptop will be covered for five years - if bought in Norway 🇳🇴.

Dadam

I wouldn't touch a Lenovo nor an Acer with a barge pole !

Luckily for both 'Me/Myself/I' & my family, I steered them into buying "Fujitsu-Siemens" laptops - (using it to type this, now)

"Fujitsu-Siemens" - Japanese casings & build-quality, with German "electrics" & motherboard.

Build quality is "2nd to none" = Reliability is also "2nd to none" too.

This one I'm using now was bought 'BNIB' (new), back in 2012 and it still runs like a Greyhound**//Ussain Bolt - (**Dog, not Bus !)

Liked it / Loved it SO MUCH, that both my Father & I have luckily tracked-down two of the latest models, (as yet, unopened !)

We've bought those two 'in advance', because we both know/realise that "Windows.7" won't (sadly) run-forever (sighs !)

I've used my G/f's "Apple-Mac" & FWIW, I think they're over-rated, plus, I don't like "Safari" much.

Having said that, I am running IOS & therefore "Safari" on my mobile phone, also an Apple i-Phone.

I was SO impressed with my "Fujitsu", that I went out the following year & bought a 2nd one as a 'back-up', but it hasn't been needed.

So today, now, we have FIVE of them in the house, with (as explained), TWO of them, as yet, unopened.

Am still running Windows.7 -(full-suite)- and like I said, it's speed & reliability are just mindblowing

Doesn't always work this way, but....

As I've found personally (since 1960's), it's often false-economy to buy a cheaper product that just won't "last the course"

One notable exception that I found, was my lone/single "SQUIER STRATOCASTER" electric guitar.

It was an "AFFINITY" model Squier - the "cheap as chips" rubber-mat version !

I've also got five full-blown U.S.A models, costing ten times the price, but the Indonesian Squire IS a revelation.

Ok, it's got cheaper (much cheaper) parts on the hardware, like bridge, tuning-keys, etc.

But as I've always said (since I bought it), it has NO RIGHT being as good as it is, considering just how cheap it is/was (from 'New')

It only cost £119.00 - (bought new, back in 1999), whereas my U.S.A Deluxe was around £1,295 - (again, 'new' back in 2005)

But personally speaking, I wouldn't waste (more) money trying to fix a low-grade/low-rent item - (throwing good money, after bad !)

So you’ve purchased tech that is not being used and is steadily depreciating, ready for the day you need it? Meanwhile you’re using an out of support OS that is exposing you to far greater risk of malware.

Fujitsu-Siemens “German electrics” :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Fujitsu bought out Siemens entirely in 2009.
There are no CPU fabs in Europe.

Gillstay

Über Member
How did they brake.

After my wife grans funeral we were given two old Thermos flasks which belonged to her , which were hastily packed into the full boot. When we arrived home I opened up the boot and guess what fell out! Opps

I think I was able to break the fall of one but the other.....

They just fell apart. Didn't even keep stuff warm for a morning on the first day.

Luckily for both 'Me/Myself/I' & my family, I steered them into buying "Fujitsu-Siemens" laptops - (using it to type this, now)

"Fujitsu-Siemens" - Japanese casings & build-quality, with German "electrics" & motherboard.

This one I'm using now was bought 'BNIB' (new), back in 2012 and it still runs like a Greyhound**//Ussain Bolt - (**Dog, not Bus !)

Liked it / Loved it SO MUCH, that both my Father & I have luckily tracked-down two of the latest models, (as yet, unopened !)

We've bought those two 'in advance', because we both know/realise that "Windows.7" won't (sadly) run-forever (sighs !)

I've used my G/f's "Apple-Mac" & FWIW, I think they're over-rated, plus, I don't like "Safari" much.

Having said that, I am running IOS & therefore "Safari" on my mobile phone, also an Apple i-Phone.

I was SO impressed with my "Fujitsu", that I went out the following year & bought a 2nd one as a 'back-up', but it hasn't been needed.

So today, now, we have FIVE of them in the house, with (as explained), TWO of them, as yet, unopened.

Am still running Windows.7 -(full-suite)- and like I said, it's speed & reliability are just mindblowing

As I've found personally (since 1960's), it's often false-economy to buy a cheaper product that just won't "last the course"

One notable exception that I found, was my lone/single "SQUIER STRATOCASTER" electric guitar.

I've also got five full-blown U.S.A models, costing ten times the price, but the Indonesian Squire IS a revelation.

Ok, it's got cheaper (much cheaper) parts on the hardware, like bridge, tuning-keys, etc.

But as I've always said (since I bought it), it has NO RIGHT being as good as it is, considering just how cheap it is/was (from 'New')

It only cost £119.00 - (bought new, back in 1999), whereas my U.S.A Deluxe was around £1,295 - (again, 'new' back in 2005)

But personally speaking, I wouldn't waste (more) money trying to fix a low-grade/low-rent item - (throwing good money, after bad !)

I've had no problems with my Acer laptop and bought an Acer Chromebook at a bargain price last year. Very happy and I chose them after good reviews.

Not sure I understand why you'd stock up on obsolete tech if you're so sure they last so long ?

Just replace when you need to and get newer tech and more speed/memory and probably cheaper.

Jameshow

Veteran

The old IBM Lenovo T and X series were excellent.

Now they are just another brand.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Most people have all they can use, so the only way to 'grow the economy' is to induce them to throw stuff away and buy new more often, then once enough people start throwing stuff away after a couple of years, manufacturers are not going to make products that last for 5 or 10 years if it costs them more to do so.

Touch screens are a PITA.
Firstly, there's the parallax because the display and touch-sensitive surface lie on different planes, then I prefer to feel the button before I press it, but most of all, they just don't effin work reliably! I end up punching my fingertip through the screen, or screwing it into the screen like I'm stubbing out a dog-end, and they still don't respond.

My guess is that I average about a 50% success rate when pressing virtual buttons on touch screens. A curse on them and all their finger grease.

classic33

Leg End Member
So you’ve purchased tech that is not being used and is steadily depreciating, ready for the day you need it? Meanwhile you’re using an out of support OS that is exposing you to far greater risk of malware.

Fujitsu-Siemens “German electrics” :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Fujitsu bought out Siemens entirely in 2009.
There are no CPU fabs in Europe.
Only their share of the computer business/operation.

Top Bottom