Stuff wot dont last (sic)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
450 quid for a laptop!!:ohmy: Yet they're mocking me for paying a fiver for one that's lasted 13 years and still works!!:rolleyes:

If you baulk at 450 quid, check this out.
I moved from a UK company who supplied me with quite a heavy Dell, to a US company who supplied me with a feather light Toshiba Portege. I loved that machine, didn't even realise I was carrying it. I looked up how much they retailed for and was shocked to find they were TWO GRAND. :sad:
After 4 years use they replaced it with a 1 grand Dell. It works well, but it's a good pound heavier and I feel the weight difference.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I moved from a UK company who supplied me with quite a heavy shoppingmode Dell, to a US company who supplied me with a feather light Toshiba Portege. I loved that machine, didn't even realise I was carrying it.
That's what I love about my Lenovo - it only weighs 1.1 kg (approx. 2.4 lbs).

I can't really sit at a desk these days so the laptop actually does spend many hours every day balanced on my lap! A heavy machine perched there would not be good for my dodgy circulation...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Our work laptops are Lenovo but really they're just tools of the trade. No one gets excited about cost or specs as long as they're capable of supporting the work. They're certainly not status symbols or a workplace 'flex'.

The Lenovos seem reasonably robust as we don't have to return them too often, but the low-rent graphics cards struggle with multiple screens. The young'ns (which is every other developer - I'm the team dinosaur) all have gamer keyboards and mice that look like sex toys, but I started on a ZX81 so can pretty much type on anything.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Our work laptops are Lenovo but really they're just tools of the trade. No one gets excited about cost or specs as long as they're capable of supporting the work. They're certainly not status symbols or a workplace 'flex'.

The Lenovos seem reasonably robust as we don't have to return them too often, but the low-rent graphics cards struggle with multiple screens. The young'ns (which is every other developer - I'm the team dinosaur) all have gamer keyboards and mice that look like sex toys, but I started on a ZX81 so can pretty much type on anything.

We've mainly been Lenovo's - they are usually around £700 but we've started to move to HP Pro Books which aren't as robust - I've seen the state of some of them - certainly don't look new after a few weeks thrown in a bag.

My personal laptop was expensive, but I've had it 8 years and it still flies - was over £1k. Intel I7 (4th gen) GTX740, 16GB ram and 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD. It's lasted well. The main issues we've had have been the hinges which have needed re-inforcing with epoxy.

Alex321

Veteran
Most of the various places I have worked over the last 40 years have used Dell as the main supplier of Windows machines.

Failures have been very rare, I think I remember two hard disks packing up in my department at the time, one of which was mine.

In the early years that was desktop machines, for the last 12 years, all laptops.

But the data engineers in my current company are all now on Apple machines - it was about 50/50 until a few months ago, when they decided they wanted to standardize. Most people outside the Data Engineering department are still using Dell laptops.

If I was looking at a new personal machine at the moment, I would probably be looking at Dell as first choice.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I have always had Dell as work machines (20+ years). My current laptop needed a new battery during Covid, IT sent me a new battery, I looked at how to change on YouTube as instructed, as a non-techie, I thought no way am I trying that on a work machine so a nice chap locally changed the battery and tested all ok for me and I expensed the £30 or whatever it cost.
I think I've needed to have memory added in the past too and possibly needed a poorly one rebuilt

We’ve got Dell laptops at work, currently on my third one in five years.

First one developed a broken USB port and used to not charge via the USB C port.

Second one corrupted and lost windows completely.

Third one is useable but no good at grunt work and often freezes when doing data heavy work.

Work leases them rather than pays for them outright so any breaks and they just go off for repair/replacement.

Top Bottom