Stuff wot we should all read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Nice infographic here of must-read non-fiction..

What do you think?

I think that the creator of the infographic, David McCandless is wonderful and that his book, 'Information is Beautiful' is a must read.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'd like those who criticise Dawkins to actually read some of his work, then they might understand where he's coming from. So for the impact he's had as a figure in society, as well as for the work itself, I'd keep him on the list.

Mind you, I'd also like forced re-education for those who misunderstand the Schrodinger's cat paradox so there you go.

OP
OP
U

User169

I'd like those who criticise Dawkins to actually read some of his work, then they might understand where he's coming from. So for the impact he's had as a figure in society, as well as for the work itself, I'd keep him on the list.

Mind you, I'd also like forced re-education for those who misunderstand the Schrodinger's cat paradox so there you go.

I knew it was a mistake to dis the Dawk! The faith is strong in his disciples.

But for the record, I've read the first three, including Extended Phenotype, which by his own reckoning is his most technical/serious book. To be honest, after that they get increasing repetitive. I've also read stuff by, inter alia, Darwin, Dobhzhansky, Eva Jablonka, Lynn Margulis, Gerd Mueller, Gabby Dover, Rico Coen, so I'd like to think my disdain is reasonably informed.

His personal politics seem a little, er, unreconstructed, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Heavy on Solzhenitsyn, with both Guns of August and Gulag Archipelago. I liked the former, and skimmed large sections of the latter, and its sequels. I loved Homage to Catalonia, by Orwell, but liked Down and Out in Paris and London much better. Men in Battle, by Alvah Bessie, and Homage to Catalonia get bogged down in the internicine strife of the Spanish Civil War too much. Down and Out is detailed, but without the slogging.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I knew Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance would be in there. One of a handful of books I gave up on and never finished, but that was a good few years ago. What do others see in it that I missed, and is it worth another go?

Top Bottom