Stupid accidents thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
This might crash (no pun intended) and burn, but tell us about your stupid accidents. A couple sprung to mind today from ye olden times.

1) Riding my Honda C70 wearing a coat with sort of flappy sleeves, I was only doing about 15mph or so (luckily) as was on a tight corner on a country road. Anyhow, I noticed something fly up my left sleeve, so slowed down a bit more, took my right hand off the throttle and bashed my left arm. This resulted in a pretty hefty sting from whatever it was, and I lost control and rode straight into a ditch.

2) Riding back from Halfords on my pushbike one day, I was on the cycle path minding my own business and I rode past a fairly busy pub car park. I thought I heard someone shout my name, so I looked left to see who it was, then just caught a shadow in the corner of my right eye. Before I had time to wonder what it was, I'd gone full tilt straight into a flipping lamp post. The whole pub car park erupted with laughter, so I did the old 'stiff upper lip' bit, rode off 1/4 mile up the road pretending it didn't hurt, then collapsed onto a bench and nearly cried with the pain.

Sharky

Guru
Almost an accident ...

On a club run, approaching a T junction and one of the riders at the front shouted "which way".
From the back, a rider answer "Left", to which the rider at the front replied "Right".
You can imagine the confusion at the front.

Drago

Legendary Member
I once knocked myself out and gave myself 2 black eyes while brushing my teeth. Fumbled the toothbrush and dropped it, reflexively bent straight down to pick it up off the floor and faceplanted the rim of the sink. Came around 5 or 10 seconds later feeling not at all well.

roley poley

Über Member
oh yea wonderwebbing the turn-ups on my pants with a wet tea towel between them and a hot iron I had moved the ironing board next to the sink to ease the tea towel wetting ,pressed down on the sandwiched cloth with a bit of weight ironing board collapses and top lip hits the edge of the sink ..had to peel it off protruding teeth a joy of sensation. Grew a stash to hide the scar on my ego

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cycling the MB with the club down on a bit between 2 forest tracks near Quinish. It was very muddy and I tried to power through a mucky bit. No tyre grip and I came to a complete halt still clipped in and pedalling furiously as I toppled sideways, fortunately on to a grassy tuft rather than the morass on the other side. Still clipped in it took a while to get unstuck while the rest of the b's creased themselves.

Dave7

Legendary Member
1962 when I worked in Liverpool. Lunchtime and I was sent to buy cakes. I ran into the shop only to find the glass door shut. Knocked myself out and came to on the pavement.
Did something similar a short while ago.
We have an electric up n over door. I got out of the car, pressed the fob so the door raised, leaned into the car for a big battery, turned and walked into the garage....only to find the door had decided not to fully open. Another knockout :wacko:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Needed a wazz. Stopped the bike in a country lane. Got off, put foot down on what I thought was a grass verge? Foot went in hole, over I went. 1 badly sprained ankle. Off bike for two weeks.
My wife did something similar. Stopped to wait for me while I parked the van and put her foot down into a deep ditch. Broken shoulder and off for weeks. Worked in her shop and got the customers to bag their own goods and worked the till with one hand.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I built my own garage about 15 years ago. One Friday night I got home and put up scaffolding ready to start at 6.00am Saturday.

Next day climbed up to start roofing, walked along scaffold plank and stepped on the end. I'd forgotten to fasten the planks down.

Realising what was happening I jumped in the hope I could direct my fall. Wrong! Landed in stream which runs, culverted, under the road. Knocked out. Came round and half-crawled to a neighbour's house, my wife was away, and banged on door for help.

They had a young religious student staying. She opened the door to see this soaking wet madman with blood running down his face on the doorstep. :eek:

I damaged the nerves and muscle which controls opening the eyelid. My left eye was closed for 5 months.

Sharky

Guru
1962 when I worked in Liverpool. Lunchtime and I was sent to buy cakes. I ran into the shop only to find the glass door shut. Knocked myself out and came to on the pavement.
Did something similar a short while ago.
We have an electric up n over door. I got out of the car, pressed the fob so the door raised, leaned into the car for a big battery, turned and walked into the garage....only to find the door had decided not to fully open. Another knockout :wacko:
Must have been a great time to work in Liverpool!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Must have been a great time to work in Liverpool!
It was indeed. We would often get to the Cavern for 30 minutes at lunchtime.
I worked in the Royal Liver and myself and a couple of mates would often walk between the Liver Buildings and Cunard. It could get very windy.
You have to understand......stockings & suspenders were still in as were mini dresses so it could get very entertaining..
Well we were only 15 years old :rolleyes:

Sharky

Guru
Yes - we've all seen the video! :whistle: :okay:

The cyclist was so lucky. I know of three cases where the rider didn't survive.
- One was a club mate of my dad and his wife was expecting. Went to school with the boy, but so sad that he never knew his dad.
- Another was a rider who had started about 15 places ahead of me on the J14 25 course in about 1967/68. Passed him lying in a pool of blood with shocked people all around. Never forget his father's face when I got back to the finish.

Keep your head up.

Top Bottom