Stupid Crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan57

Coming down the lane near my home on my mountain bike ,car coming the other way quite fast , I ended up going into hedge and hit the deck pretty hard . My helmet took the force of the blow which has actually partially crushed it on one side , although I did get some grazing to my forehead . When I got up I was totally disorientated and did not know where I was or which way to go to get home and did not recognise the houses I have seen many times before. I am just glad I was wearing a helmet as without it I think I would have ended up in hospital. So have got the usual knee/hip scratches and bruising on my right side and my forehead bruised , as well as badly swollen painful ,although I can move it, little finger on right hand.Helmet will need replacing , lidls tights have a few grazes but have held up, I feel like i`ve been run over, bike is ok though , ( my main worry ). So for me a helmet is a must and probably saved me from a much worse injury. Now time for a hot shower .

Rural halfwit

Glad you are ok(ish) yep a lid is worth it's weight in gold on the old bonce

KateK

Glad to hear you are OK, horrible accident, though hitting the hedge was certainly better than hitting the car.
As for your head (and I'm not medically qualified and you probably know this already but on the faint chance that you don't): sometimes concussion takes time to come on - I had a friend who was thrown in Judo and got up a bit disorientated, sat out the rest of the session and went home. He started throwing up severely several hours later and ended up in A and E and having to take 2 months off university, and it could have been worse. If you have other people at home ask them to keep an eye on you and if you start feeling worse (any of: feeling drowsy, confused, sick, headache, difficulty with your vision etc) then contact NHS direct or go to A and E straight away (don't drive yourself!). If you don't have anyone at home, then maybe talk to NHS direct or a doctor just to be on the safe side...the fact that you were so disorientated is a bit worrying. You could invite yourself round to a friend's house so that you are not alone.
And report the accident to the police!!
Gosh, I sound like someone's mother. (actually I am, but they are in the next room watching Don'ttelltheBig FatOrangeHousewivesCupCakeDinerBake Off on the Dribble Channel )

OP
OP
Alan57

Alan57

KateK, thanks for the concern , I will be monitoring how I feel this evening and if I start to feel "wrong" I will get one of my neighbours to take me to A&E, my partner also keeps ringing every hour to make sure i`m ok. Cheers .

RhythMick

Über Member
If you've blacked out even for a second or two, go to A&E and get checked out. Seriously, as has been pointed out by another member head injuries can remain hidden for a time.

lulubel

Über Member
Same advice here re A&E. A guy I used to know who was a paramedic said impacts to the side of the head are the most dangerous because the skull's thinner there or something. And, as has already been said, you can feel OK, but symptoms can come on suddenly several hours later.

monkeylc

Über Member
Get it checked out mate,just in case
As regards not wearing a helmet,it's just pure luck whether or not you catch your head in a bad way,not a very good gamble is it?
serious head injuries are for life and very life changing,i work with it!

Berties

Fast and careful!
Glad you are ok,must have happened fast ,I have had a few falls of late and the impact starts knee then hip,arm then head I haven't hit my head yet,get riding soon

OP
OP
Alan57

Alan57

NormanD, no not a specialized it is a Uvex ivo , did a good job though . However need some body protection, starting to ache now.

Top Bottom