Stupid frikin' new tyres suck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Bad luck! I've been using these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano-plus-performance-rigid-road-tyre-1/
4500 miles last year, 1 puncture, farmer had been hedge cutting, and one tube failure, a very old tube split at the site of a previous puncture.

they look good

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the clue is 'Continental'..... ^_^
Little experience of their tyres although the new yet to be ridden bike wears gatorskins (and I have a pair to replace some Vittorias once worn)

However, their tubes are hateful based on my experience of half a dozen of the valves!

bpsmith

Veteran
I was using Continental GP4000S tyres. No punctures in 5k miles. Replaced them with Vittoria Corsa G’s, which are amazing too.

When I put the carbon wheels away for the Winter, I stuck the original wheels on. They came with Ultra Sport II’s, which I have literally only done 200 miles on.

Had one single ride between Christmas and New Year and got two punctures. It’s technically one really, as I couldn’t find the cause when replacing first tube. After the second puncture, in freezing heavy rain, we found the cause nestled very neatly between the inner and outer of the tread. It was the exact size of the tyre thickness and so wasn’t visible until flexed significantly.

These tyres have no puncture protection it appears, after looking after the event. There’s me the bling that I could use them for chill out rides over the Winter. Another set for the Turbo at best.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Another vote for Durano Plus I have done lots of miles on them without a single problem as yet.

Cheap Tyres are cheap for a reason. I bought some Michelin Lythion 2 tyres cheap and suffered fairy visits almost every ride.

mgs315

Another vote for Durano Plus I have done lots of miles on them without a single problem as yet.

Cheap Tyres are cheap for a reason. I bought some Michelin Lythion 2 tyres cheap and suffered fairy visits almost every ride.

Funny that. I’ve had 25c Lithion 2s for 6 months now running 80psi wet and 95-100 dry and not a sniff of a puncture. I’ve hit some sodding large south London potholes with them on my commutes too.

I guess tyres really are the definition of YMMV eh?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ive ran the 25mm 4 seasons all year round. Only had one puncture that was caused by 'cyclist error' when I went over a very very gnarly pothole i didn't see. Probably not a 'puncture' puncture but the innertube exploded nonetheless (Impact puncture) re-tubed and got rolling again.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I think the clue is 'Continental'..... ^_^

Yes, look at the shocking state of this GP4000s after only 4500 miles on the front followed by 5500 miles on the rear.

IMG_5067.JPG

One puncture in 10000 miles, binned due to the visible patches of zero tread.

Other Continental tyres may not be this lucky.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Towards the end of last year I tried a pair of Continental Ultra Sport II (non-folding) 700x28s. To me they look more like 35s, but they seemed perfectly adequate. In fact, after almost 1000 puncture-free miles they were almost unmarked, but then one of them exploded a sidewall an hour after finishing a ride. So now I have a plentiful supply of tyre boots, and a single newish-looking tyre which I can't imagine ever using again.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I reckon I've had a good 5000+ miles from my GP 4000s and hardly any punctures. Got some Gatorskins on my winter bike and they've not been so puncture resistant but I put that down to the riding conditions.

Top Bottom