Stupid mistakes you've done at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
About 12 years ago In my window cleaner days,i heard "Oh yeah,give it to me hard baby":ohmy:,just as i was about to climb my ladder to do the bedroom windows of a house. My mistake was that i didn't leave the bedroom windows till the next time! What i saw when i climbed that ladder still plays on my mind to this day!! :eek: :ohmy: :blush:

I'm sure I've seen a 70s documentary where that happened

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm sure I've seen a 70s documentary where that happened
Are you thinking of the film 'Confessions Of A Window Cleaner'?🤔

screenman

Legendary Member
Employed the wrong people, I can still name some of the people who though it right to steal off of me and it is now 32 years since I sold that business and said never again to giving people jobs, been on my own since and enjoy it. Poor judge of character on my behalf I guess, I should add though, some of the people that I did enjoy working with then are still close friends now.

First tier. :laugh:

The juicy one that gets to take the arguments of the facts and law rather than debate on the interpretation of the law. Best one to be in in my opinion. Once I qualify in a few years time I’m hoping CIOT don’t scrap the membership ceremony at House of Lords.

Way back in the 70's I worked in a garage .
One day I collected a new toughened windscreen from the stores. In those days they were contained in a very large brown paper envelope .
I placed the new windscreen down on a wooden engine crate whilst we went off for a tea break . Whilst we were having our tea the sprayer came along and decided to sit on the engine crate which had the windscreen on it. As he was about to sit down a thought went through my mind . " I think there is a reason why he shouldn't do that !"
Before I could say any thing the screen exploded with a bang !
Oops ! A new windscreen . :whistle:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You'll have to indulge me because this isn't my screwup, or even my mate's, but the story he told me seems to belong so...

After graduating, my friend got work as a labourer, working for a bloke he soon decided was an idiot and a flake - a posh boy who'd decided his future lay in property renovation. Through his posh dad, he'd got a job to work on a town house in Chelsea - one of those tall, thin, four storey jobs. Boy genius called my mate over and pointed to a wall in the cellar - "Remove that wall; we're going to make this an open space". My mate looked at it rather dubiously, knocked it with his knuckles, and said "Are you sure? That's a supporting wall isn't it?" PB gave him the kind of indignant look you'd give the help if it was getting lippy, and ordered work to commence. Oh well, thought my mate, gabbing the sledgehammer, in for a penny....

He'd got the hole up to about six or seven feet across when suddenly there was a bang like a bomb blast, and dust everywhere, with lots of groaning. "I was up the stairs in about a second and a half." Turned out the floor immediately above the breached wall had sunk in the middle, so the entire floor was now a sort of v-shape. As was the floor above...and the floor above that one...and the floor above that.

When I were a student, BITD, I worked my holidays in a medicines warehouse. In "goods-in" we unloaded the trucks and stored the cases of product. Pharmacy sized bottles of, e.g. cough mixture, were Winchesters - gallon bottles - and came on pallets whch we stored on two tier racking.

One day we needed some more Benylin for the warehouse, so off I goes with the fork-lift and start to raise a pallet of said product from the top tier racking. What I HADN'T noticed was that someone had been up the stepladder and unloaded one side of the pallet. When I lifted it with the forks, the remaining cases of bottles tipped off the side and fell ten feet to the floor. About 30 gallons of cough mixture made a heck of a mess :blush:

postman

Legendary Member
Stories from Royal Mail.Massive wagon down to Southampton empty when it was opened,he had backed on to the wrong one in Leeds.Big wagon took off a roof at a petrol station.Driver went to Bridlington instead of Drighlington,Bloke emptying bags from a train not fast enough got took to York .New delivery bloke put entire streets mail in to first house on said street.One bloke arrived at work at 05-00 am to find delivery office closed,well it was Sunday.:laugh:

alicat

Legendary Member
Stories from Royal Mail.Massive wagon down to Southampton empty when it was opened,he had backed on to the wrong one in Leeds.Big wagon took off a roof at a petrol station.Driver went to Bridlington instead of Drighlington,Bloke emptying bags from a train not fast enough got took to York .New delivery bloke put entire streets mail in to first house on said street.One bloke arrived at work at 05-00 am to find delivery office closed,well it was Sunday.:laugh:

Jeez and we taxpayers were paying for all that.

screenman

Legendary Member
1st day on new job driving a lorry bigger than anything I have before, clipped a car on the way out of the yard, told to carry on and they will sort it out, got to the first job and backed into an Austin Maxi ripping a hole in the wing, handed over details and cleared of quick, 3 corners later I cut it too sharp and run over the back of a parked Austin 1100 which bumped forward and damaged the car in front, left a note on the car as there was nobody about, back to the yard to find that I no longer had a job. The company is still there though W Hansens in Hounslow, I was 18 at the time.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

A chap I knew used to be a motor mechanic for the Post Office. They had to do some fairly unusual job on one of the vans which entailed removing a panel or bulkhead. When they took it off they found a pile of random letters dating back two or three years which had fallen down behind out of sight. They all went back in the post doubtless setting a new record for late deliveries

Top Bottom