Stupid parents in the school car park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
I live opposite a Primary school
Twice a day we get the parking nightmare
The catchment area for the school this year?
157 meters, yes, that is correct, 157 meters from the school gate.

Down from 200m last year and 250m for the last several years
If I was the Head I would not let the kids out who were being driven home for 15 minutes after the rest using the excuse they would endanger the others. Child pester power would soon sort that out and they would all be walking home from school,

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Local pub has had to has banned school parking after the abuse customers were getting from the self righteous mummy brigade.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
stuff deleted
157 meters, yes, that is correct, 157 meters from the school gate.
If I was the Head I would not let the kids out who were being driven home for 15 minutes after the rest using the excuse they would endanger the others,

157m and they still drive? That is plain nuts. Love the idea about 15 minute later release.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
5 or 6 years ago I walked my eldest daughter to school, and when we got there realised that I’d forgotten her gym bag.

Once she’d gone into school, I raced back to get her kit and then took this into the school. By the time I got there for the second time it was a good 15 minutes after the bell had rung. However, I noticed that sat in a large car on the yellow zig-zags right outside the school gates was the rather disruptive kid in my daughter’s class who would then have been aged 5 or 6 . He was in there with his huge warthog of a father who was smoking (with all the windows rolled up) and the kid was finishing eating a Magnum ice-lolly, both of them seemingly oblivious to the fact that they were late and the huge tailback they were causing despite all the honking horns and gesticulations of the passing drivers. The family live about 350 yards from the school.

I thought, poor little sod, with a start like that in life he stands no chance…..

Actually i guess the kid will grow up and get another stonking big car. ATM can't blame the kid but as he grows older and brain capabilities kick in, i would very much blame him. One doesn't have to follow the stupid.

keithmac

Guru
I walk our two in to school on my way to work (10 minutes tops walk in).

I've seen people over the road from me (and next door neighbour) drive to school, fight for a space and then drive home again. Pure laziness imho.

One of my sons friends mums arrives half and hour early so she can park ouside next to the school gates, beggars belief.

If I lived on the school road I'd be tempted to buy an old banger and take the lot out, I honestly don't know how they (home owners) put up with it..

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
After all, why are the roads so quiet during the school holiday if people are simply kicking their kids out as they drive onwards to work?

because they are on holiday too, during the only time that they are allowed to be without being fined by the school.

or, they leave earlier...because they can and thus the volume is dispersed

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
The ones that get me are the ones that park on the zig zag markings outside the school. I remember reading on a forum that you can "get around the system" by parking in the middle of the road off the actual yellow lines themselves. I would be highly in favour of allowing bulldozers on the road to clear inconsiderately parked cars outside schools.

screenman

Legendary Member
because they are on holiday too, during the only time that they are allowed to be without being fined by the school.

or, they leave earlier...because they can and thus the volume is dispersed

Do the school fine you or is it some other government body?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Do the school fine you or is it some other government body?
Bit of both. (although I've never tested it) I think the fine comes from central govn but there are other sanctions that come directly from the school.

It does feel shallow for the school to constantly remind us how valuable each and every hour of attendance is...and then close he school for inset days

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Other than INSET days being in addition to the required teaching days in the academic year.... schools in England must teach 380 sessions (190 days) per academic year but teachers must be available for 195 days per academic year - the additional 5 days are the INSET days.
Ok, fair enough so if they are available and I assume being paid. Why do they close the school. Why not just have 5 more days holiday and just call it that.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Because INSET days are used for training and development, and for having works carried out in schools that can't be undertaken whilst the pupils are there.

Or would you rather your kids were being taught by people whose skills and knowledge wasn't up to date?
I would rather the school.planned those works within the long periods that the school is already closed through the summer and half terms. Surely an extra 5 disparate days a year doesn't really make or break an maintenance plan. Pretty poor management if it does.

Perhaps the training could also be undertaken during these times, which would bring a teaching career more in line with the rest of the world with regard to holiday entitlement and hours.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Most INSET days are scheduled for the beginning/ends of existing holiday periods and your child is getting the teaching days that are required (as INSET days are additional to the teaching days - not replacements of) - so I'm not really sure what your issue/point is. Do you have one or is this just a general whinge about schools and teachers?
Its a general whinge really. "some of my best mates are teachers"...etc but it winds me up to be preached to fairly sanctimoniously by someone who has no real understanding of working in the private sector, or even being a parent....or both.

My kids school is quite elitist and can often make choices that seem to be motivated to the needs of the faculty rather than the students.

I'll stop winging now, its quite unbecoming, sorry.

I do stand by my view on parents driving kids to school though.

Top Bottom