Stupid parents in the school car park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm an elderly git and I walk my 5 Y/O to school. Its less than 400 metres, and I see people loading up their car with kids in my street, and they're still orbiting trying to park when i get there, and I beat them home again.

One bloke lives even closer, twice a day from home to school in the car, and he wonders why he's fatter than Holy hell.

This thoughtless, casual use of the car, the pollution, the environmental damage, the congestion,and the inconsiderate driving that often goes along with it is making me angrier as I get older. Head teachers should take reg numbers daily and the bone idle lazy gits should have a ten pound tax per journey, unless they can prove the child or parent is disabled.

Obesity, congestion, pollution, road safety all addressed in one fell swoop.

Jody

Stubborn git
[QUOTE 4739033, member: 9609"]I think the oversize sunglasses are to hide the mobile phone behind - [/QUOTE]

OD-BK883_ABFAB_J_20160711171330.jpg

I reckon its the Ab Fab look to disguise that they have been up all night sipping wine and doing class a's

[QUOTE 4739033, member: 9609"]I think the oversize sunglasses are to hide the mobile phone behind - (wouldn't you think top marque SUVs would come with hands free kit as standard:rolleyes:)[/QUOTE]
That's another thing!
It's as though they want the world (or other parents) to see their latest model phones

Heck!, I've not seen it, but I have been told that one pupil is even helicoptered in, on occasions!!
(not sure that the School has the facilities, to do so, I know it's well equipped/supported, but.......)

pplpilot

Guru
Don't get me started. I take 3 to primary every day, we walk, it takes 25 minutes, we always set out 15 minutes early so we can have a play at the park on the way. I'm always staggered at the laziness of the average school run parent. I've changed my working hours so I can do this. Mrs pplpilot does the same in reverse. Unless the weather is really bad I will take the car, even then we go early to avoid the idiocy in the car park. As someone has pointed out I pass people packing the kids into the car and see the same people fighting over parking spaces. Why start the day all stressed out?
I'm lucky I can do this, admittedly there are those that it wouldn't be practical.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm lucky I can do this, admittedly there are those that it wouldn't be practical.
That's true - and all credit to you for recognising it. But I think the ones that really get on people's tits are the ones who wouldn't need flexible arrangements, since they save no time at all by driving rather than walking. They don't do it because they're time-challenged in a way you're not; they do it because they're lazy.

Drago

Legendary Member
If it ain't practical they shouldn't have kids.

Endangering the kids of less lazy parents because they couldn't be bothered to put something on the end of it themseles is unacceptable.

The only excuse I find acceptable if if a child or parent is disabled or some such.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
We lived a 5 minute walk from my two's first primary school. There was no car parking for parents other than on surrounding roads, and that was a nightmare most mornings. Nevertheless, next door used to drive their youngest to the school without fail, every day. He was in my daughter's class, and was always late.

People, eh?

Like many I walked to School, when I was a kid (nursery, Junior, & Secondary - but bike, for most of Senior)

The route was partly via, (at the time) a small working quarry/land-fill (dodging between trucks), over rugby fields (belonging to an 'old boys' network)
At times in winter, the snow on the field was deep enough to get the thighs of trousers sodden

As the landfill was still operational, when I was about 15/16, I got talking to some of the drivers (8x4 MAN tippers), & got to drive one, on the site

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I lived 0.8 miles from my primary school and was walking there with other kids (and no adult supervision) from the age of 6 or 7. It was great, there were scores of us all teeming along the road so perhaps we had safety in numbers back then. Stranger danger wasn't any less of a threat but I guess our parents were more realistic, or less easily alarmed, about the likelihood of us being the victim of a crime. I can only recall one boy in the whole school being overweight. When I look at kids now it's a very different story.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
I hope you are in the passenger seat and not actually in charge of a motor vehicle at this time?
I was sitting in the drivers seat of a car in the car park, engine off.

Ps: this is not the school run, but an evening activity with kids involved. I get parents want to use their cars (heck, i am in one), but the speed at which they drive in the car park, in the dark, with kids around, is what i find bothersome.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
I lived 0.8 miles from my primary school and was walking there with other kids (and no adult supervision) from the age of 6 or 7. It was great, there were scores of us all teeming along the road so perhaps we had safety in numbers back then. Stranger danger wasn't any less of a threat but I guess our parents were more realistic, or less easily alarmed, about the likelihood of us being the victim of a crime. I can only recall one boy in the whole school being overweight. When I look at kids now it's a very different story.
I lived a little further than that and went to school on my own too. Yeah, good laugh catching with the other kids, then getting to the playground and having a laugh, and finally the registration bell.

Whenever i drop my kids to school, i always walk them there and back. Except for after school activities when i need get back home quick. Most other parents use the car. It doesn't bother me, but I hate trying to find parking space when for just a little longer of a walk, i don't need to put up with the inconvenience of it all.

slowwww

Veteran
5 or 6 years ago I walked my eldest daughter to school, and when we got there realised that I’d forgotten her gym bag.

Once she’d gone into school, I raced back to get her kit and then took this into the school. By the time I got there for the second time it was a good 15 minutes after the bell had rung. However, I noticed that sat in a large car on the yellow zig-zags right outside the school gates was the rather disruptive kid in my daughter’s class who would then have been aged 5 or 6 . He was in there with his huge warthog of a father who was smoking (with all the windows rolled up) and the kid was finishing eating a Magnum ice-lolly, both of them seemingly oblivious to the fact that they were late and the huge tailback they were causing despite all the honking horns and gesticulations of the passing drivers. The family live about 350 yards from the school.

I thought, poor little sod, with a start like that in life he stands no chance…..

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I agree, the 'posher' the car, the worse the parking

I can see, Range Rovers (this mornings schoolrun saw 3; oldest was a '65' plate), 2 Audi Q7s, Jaguar XJ, one of those 'fugly' B*W 6 series 4x4 coupes, & one of the Mercedes that looks identical, that B*W i8
The Rangies invariably straddle 2 spaces

Another phenomenon is the sunglasses, most of the mums seem to wear huge ones, in the sort of shape/relative size to what (I think of as) a 5 year old wearing on the beach
Not sure if it's to cover a lack of eye make-up, lack of sleep, it wasn't a particularly bright morning so, not worn for the real intended purpose
Quite right.

And all those awful people wearing Lycra...absolute louts the lot of them

Top Bottom