Stupid Pedestrians!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
I pulled up sharply at some lights once and this ped who was looking the other way just stepped off the kerb and nearly climbed on to my stationary bike, we were both quite surprised!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Tharg2007 said:
I pulled up sharply at some lights once and this ped who was looking the other way just stepped off the kerb and nearly climbed on to my stationary bike, we were both quite surprised!

Maybe they just subconsciously wanted a 'backie' all the way home because their legs were tired ? :biggrin:

MERV

fw6aoo.gif

MERV

Well the two peds I overtook yesterday were both walking in the cycle lane on a road with busy traffic causing me to hit one of them with my bag.)Unintentionally but hopefully a hint that the pavement is the best place to walk).I didn't want to use my horn as I thought this would have a negative response.

Typical peds a law unto themselves thats why they are a danger to themselves and everyone else.More than once I have seen peds lying in the road due to being the victims of an accident.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
MERV said:
Typical peds a law unto themselves thats why they are a danger to themselves and everyone else.More than once I have seen peds lying in the road due to being the victims of an accident.

No offence MERV, but that's dangerously close to the sort of tripe drivers trot out about cyclists from time to time ("Why ain'tcha in the f* cycle lane?").

I've had my own moans about pedestrians not paying attention before now, and some nasty turns when they step out suddenly all iPodded up (that's why we ride a stride's distance from the pavement, innit :biggrin: ) but if you can see 'em ahead, slow down, or go around 'em...

MERV said:
Well the two peds I overtook yesterday were both walking in the cycle lane on a road with busy traffic causing me to hit one of them with my bag.)Unintentionally but hopefully a hint that the pavement is the best place to walk).I didn't want to use my horn as I thought this would have a negative response.

Well the two cyclists I overtook yesterday were both riding on a road with busy traffic causing me to hit one of them with my wingmirror.) Unintentionally but hopefully a hint that the cycle lane is the best place to ride).I didn't want to use my horn as I thought this would have a negative response.

Typical cyclists a law unto themselves thats why they are a danger to themselves and everyone else.More than once I have seen cyclists lying in the road due to being the victims of an accident.

Heard this before? I know I have. Classic size superiority - they are slower / smaller than me therefore they should make way for me.

MERV

John the Monkey said:
No offence MERV, but that's dangerously close to the sort of tripe drivers trot out about cyclists from time to time ("Why ain'tcha in the f* cycle lane?").

I've had my own moans about pedestrians not paying attention before now, and some nasty turns when they step out suddenly all iPodded up (that's why we ride a stride's distance from the pavement, innit :biggrin: ) but if you can see 'em ahead, slow down, or go around 'em...

Agreed but I didn't know what was behind me at the time.

I don't like making sudden movements an was pretty sure there was a car right up my arse.Seriously I couldn't move out.My bag was hanging to the left so I clipped the ped.I was expecting some sort of abuse for this but got nothing.

I admit it was a poor overtake and under different circumstances I would have easily given them more room.
2j69xg6.jpg

MERV

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Well the two cyclists I overtook yesterday were both riding on a road with busy traffic causing me to hit one of them with my wingmirror.) Unintentionally but hopefully a hint that the cycle lane is the best place to ride).I didn't want to use my horn as I thought this would have a negative response.

Typical cyclists a law unto themselves thats why they are a danger to themselves and everyone else.More than once I have seen cyclists lying in the road due to being the victims of an accident.

Heard this before? I know I have. Classic size superiority - they are slower / smaller than me therefore they should make way for me.

Grow up.

I get your point here but it's not generally my attitude although on this occasion I really do think the peds were putting themselves in danger.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
MERV said:

I admit it was a poor overtake and under different circumstances I would have easily given them more room.

Fair dos - I encounter this situation quite a lot in the city centre. My own choice would be a look over the shoulder and moving out if I could - otherwise I slow down, and maybe give a polite-ish shout to indicate that I'd like to pass.

Jacomus is just making the same point I am, really, albeit by giving the cager version of what you said back to you.

MERV

Yes I know it was a bad overtake.Guilty as charged your honour.

I didn't do it deliberately and generally If I have time I will look behind and move out if safe.As I am not a car I thought I would put myself in peril as I didn't know the exact position of the car behind me.Everyone knows how nervy peds make me with their sudden uninstinctive movemnst movemnts and the ability to act like a startled rabbit.

I dont treat peds like motorists treat cyclists as I find peds a major threat a lot of the time.

I.E if I hit a ped it's not very nice we both get injured.
If a car hit a car hits a bike (god forbid) the motorist is generally okay.

MERV

BentMikey said:
Personally, I would have either negotiated out to overtake safely, or waited behind.

Been thinking about this.I think my planning was bad but on my seventh consecutive commute I think I was losing it a bit.

At the time I was more of hoping they were going to go on the pavement but they both had an arrogant look at me body language so I should have known better.Give them one thing though they didn't complain of which I would have expected.

I wanted to keep away from being directly behind the bus in case he stopped suddenly and was pretty sure the was a car right behind me.

I've seen a courier ride directly at peds though who stepped off of the pavement and actually barge them with the shoulder which was a bit shocking once.

Of course we can't all be as perfect as you BM.:biggrin: