Stupid Pedestrians!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
What year did you leave, then? ;)

I kind of agree with your reasoning about the peds in the cycle lane - shouldn't really be there, it's not as if they were even looking to cross the road and were just in the lane ready to move further across.

But I also agree that either you need to let them know you're there and move round them (checking behind as required) or, if it isn't safe to move further out, you have to slow down and scare the bejeebers out of them wait. :becool:

MERV

Yes no doubt I handled it badly on the assumption that they would get out of the way.

The body language at the time made me think that scaring the whatnot out of them would not go down to well so I refrained from using the horn.

Still thought I could get past and as I was concentrating on them and not the position of the bag on my back it ended up in a cock up.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I kind of agree with your reasoning about the peds in the cycle lane - shouldn't really be there, it's not as if they were even looking to cross the road and were just in the lane ready to move further across.

You know, that's what many drivers say about cyclists. Those pedestrians had every right to be there, and every reason too, they were passing a blockage on the pavement. Roads are for everyone, not just cyclists and drivers.

MERV

There wasn't a blockage on the pavement Mikey.

Damn sure I would never have been there unless I had good reason to.

I got hit by cars when I was a kid as a ped (4 times) and it's not very nice.Eventually I learnt and I was lucky...Probably the reason the way I ride nowadays.

The body language I got is look at us we are hard jack the lad types.The body language was a bit like this.Thats why I didn't toot I was sure I would get a negative reaction.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hmm, it looked like the cab was blocking the pavement there, but you're right, it's not, though the parking recess seems to severely narrow the pavement. I suspect there were pedestrians coming the other way, which is why they went out in the road, but it's only a guess. No matter though, because they're still entitled to be in the road.

I think I would have been in primary there, since you were keeping up with the traffic, but I dunno since I wasn't there and am not familiar with that road.

cupoftea

I think the problem with Ped's in the road is that although they have every right to be there, we'd just wish they'd use the pavement.

I mean if they don’t want the pavement could we use it?
:-) :-) :-)

MERV

Yeah that would be fine by me.I cycled on the pavement in Japan.The peds were very good and considerate there.Felt uncomfortable riding among peds as I dont particulary want to have another accident.:ohmy:

MERV

2ntdc7p.gif

My personal favourite.

MERV said:
I got hit by cars when I was a kid as a ped (4 times) and it's not very nice.

Four times?? What the hell were you doing? I've managed to get through my entire life (so far) without being hit once!

MERV said:
2ntdc7p.gif

My personal favourite.

That wouldn't have happened if you had been in primary.

Though that is not to say it ws your fault - the oxygen theif behind the wheel was 100% at fault there. I always take the approach that all the drivers on the road share one braincell, they are like dumb herd animals that will respond unthinkingly to sheparding. Sometimes they will get upset about it, but that is the exception.

MERV

Rhythm Thief said:
Four times?? What the hell were you doing? I've managed to get through my entire life (so far) without being hit once!

Sorry but I wasn't going for a record.As most of the time during my childhood I had to fend for myself I dont think I did too bad.

I still think it's the reason I ride defensively and will probably never change.

MERV

I've been thinking about this all day at work and I only have memories of being knocked down once although it was quite bad.That was in Finsbury Park in my first 8 years.