Stupid Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys

This seems a stupid question and I think I know the answer but I just want to double check.

I have just received a email to say the mechanic has boxed my new bike up but has found the front skewer and believes its mines. They are sending it out just in case.

My question is I have spare skewers but they are campag and my new bike is shimano.

Will it fit or will it be specific for the shimano wheel?

Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi Guys

This seems a stupid question and I think I know the answer but I just want to double check.

I have just received a email to say the mechanic has boxed my new bike up but has found the front skewer and believes its mines. They are sending it out just in case.

My question is I have spare skewers but they are campag and my new bike is shimano.

Will it fit or will it be specific for the shimano wheel?

Thanks
As long as it is long enough a skewer is a skewer. (I've swapped a few of mine from QR to Allen key types)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Campag and Shimano skewers use a cam action which is reckoned to be superior to some unbranded makes which don't use it, partly because Shimano own a patent which costs a royalty to use.

The skewer/skewers you get with the new bike may or may not be Shimano.

If they are not - and at the risk of being too anal about the whole thing - it would be a good idea to use one of your Campag ones.

Tojo

Über Member
Campag and Shimano skewers use a cam action which is reckoned to be superior to some unbranded makes which don't use it, partly because Shimano own a patent which costs a royalty to use.

The skewer/skewers you get with the new bike may or may not be Shimano.

If they are not - and at the risk of being too anal about the whole thing - it would be a good idea to use one of your Campag ones.

I think you may find that Campagnolo invented the QR skewer......:secret: and the only difference in length is between MTB and road are only on the rear and it is 135mm MTB & 130mm Road...Campag skewers, the Dog's, for road..:notworthy: as they don't make MTB groups anymore...:headshake:

Last edited:
Top Bottom