stupid question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcogs

Guru
Do people pitch their tents and sleep overnight at places other than official camp sites please?

i imagine they do, but i dont remember seeing that many whilst out and about.

me and Danny hope to go for a trial run soon, here in North East Scotland, and i wondered if we might risk pitching in some woods or somewhere similar if its windy, as it usually is.

Whats the advice intrepid types?

gavintc

Guru
Yes, but whenever I have done it I have pitched late in the day and packed early. I have used it as part of a long route that did not have adequate camping facilities. I think wild camping is OK in remote locations but unacceptable the closer you get to habitation and alternative facilities.

ChrisKH

Guru
There was an article on wild camping in CTC's cycle magazine sometime last year I think which was good. Generally it is acceptable the further away you are from habitation as gavin says. I used to do it a lot when I was younger but you can get away with a lot more as a 15 year old.

Bigtallfatbloke

I was tempted a few times, but never did. It's all down to the area...back of beyond = ok...surrey 4x4 belt = high chance of being shot by the immigrant servant.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did it last year on the South Downs about 100 yards from a local tourist spot and car park. As has been said, we arrived late and left early and were undisturbed. We did have a late night picnic al fresco with 2 friends who came by car and no-one blinked an eye. Further from habitaion the better though.
I was 'road-testing' the bike with a load prior to touring abroad where I didn't wild camp at all in 5 weeks.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
redcogs said:
...i imagine they do, but i dont remember seeing that many whilst out and about.

And that's the point: you didn't see them.

The way to look at it is: if no-one knows you're there, no-one can object. So arrive late and leave early, or choose a spot where no-one will find you. (Clearly, that's easier in remote areas than in Surrey. Although Surrey has a lot of heathland where you could tuck yourself away...). Don't cluster with other wild campers. Don't leave anything behind.

Everything you need to know Redders

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp

plus a lot you don't need to know.

Actually there's quite a lot to wade through so, camping:-

Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done
in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can
camp in this way wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing
problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields
of crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or
historic structures. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse
shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner’s
permission. Leave no trace by:
• taking away all your litter;
• removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (
follow the
guidance for lighting fires);
• not causing any pollution.​

OP
OP
redcogs

redcogs

Guru
That is really helpful advice Crackle. Thanks very much indeed everyone.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The section of the camping section of Out Door Access code is here, hope this helps. Basically provided you act in a responsible manor you can wild camp, which is a grown up European attitude to the issue of out door access, rather then the nanny state attitude you get down south.

Tony

Good advice throughout. I would reallly stress the idea of pitch late, leave early, leave clean. I would avoid pitching under trees, as they can cause all sorts of problems.
Start looking for a pitch as the day goes on, and think about having dinner, etc, BEFORE pitching. That way, you look as if you've stopped for a meal, at least until people bugger off.
There are lots of camping tips, but try and avoid hollows as they can be damp and cold air pools in them.
I saw some lads with two tents wildcamping for two nights in Leechpool woods. In the middle of Horsham. Timing and careful pitch selection is everything.

Top Bottom