Sturmey 3 speed hub adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've only ever had one bike with hub gears- a Brompton with a SRAM hub. I never touched it.

I've been working on an old Universal folder for a friend who uses it to get to work. Among other things I've replaced the gear cable (because the outer was in a bad way) and now need to adjust the gears.

I'm not getting very far with the method I'm using which is to get the indicator rod just visible at the end of the axle with lever set to 2nd. Using that method the toggle chain is pretty loose in 3rd, fairly tight in first- all looks about right but nothing actually happens gear wise (riding along can't feel a change in ratio, except an occasional neutral in 3rd)

Any tips?

Ern1e

Über Member
That is what you should do but have you popped a couple of drops of oil into the hub ? I had a simular problem with a 1980 Raliegh Traveller once I had done that it changes gear quite nicely,oh and the cable on it is also "loose" when in 3rd and tight when in 1st so I don't think thats a problem try a little light oil first.

classic33

Leg End Member
I always thought that the end of the rod had to be visible at the end of the axle in second gear. As it has to be able to move into the hub to engage 1st

Brommyboy

Über Member
The SA indicator rod has 'shoulders', which should be just clear of the axil end when in second gear. However, you must be sure that this gear is internally engaged before setting the rod. Sometimes you have to turn the wheel backwards until hearing the gear selection complete its movement. The cable should be slightly slack in third gear. The 'shoulders' will be much further out when first gear is engaged, as it pulls the selector outward.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Thanks- will take another look tonight. Also- Sheldon was the obvious place to check but it didn't even cross my mind.

Top Bottom