Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub gear alignment chain indicator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I can no longer see the little yellow mark on my gear chain.

Bit of a bummer having just replaced the cable.

Does anyone know which link the marker should be on so I have a close starting point for reindexing it properly

I've got the adjustor pretty well where it was and with no stress on the pedals it all moves and changes but I've no idea how far out of proper kilter it is or which way to fine tune before a bedding in ride without the little yellow mark.

Ta.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I can no longer see the little yellow mark on my gear chain.

Bit of a bummer having just replaced the cable.

Does anyone know which link the marker should be on so I have a close starting point for reindexing it properly

I've got the adjustor pretty well where it was and with no stress on the pedals it all moves and changes but I've no idea how far out of proper kilter it is or which way to fine tune before a bedding in ride without the little yellow mark.

Ta.
I've always adjusted the cable so that there is a touch of slack with the changer in 3rd (rod screwed all the way in and then backed off a quarter turn so that it lines up with the cable) did the 'project' Raleigh 3spd this year that way (first one since the 1970s) and that doesn't slip or hit the SA 'False Neutral'

classic33

Leg End Member
I've always adjusted the cable so that there is a touch of slack with the changer in 3rd (rod screwed all the way in and then backed off a quarter turn so that it lines up with the cable) did the 'project' Raleigh 3spd this year that way (first one since the 1970s) and that doesn't slip or hit the SA 'False Neutral'
And Sheldon agreed with you
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/adj.html

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Well that was easy. My initial set up was near as dammit spot on.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
What little yellow mark?
Both my 3 sp and 5 sp SA hubs when new had/has respectively a yellow painted mark on the adjustor chain that when lined up with the very edge of the axle nut in gear 2 is an indicator of correct cable tension & gear alignment, 'tis the reason the outer nut has the viewhole in it.

It is a pretty accurate marker.

Similar to the yellow dot arrangement on my Alfine 8.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Both my 3 sp and 5 sp SA hubs when new had/has respectively a yellow painted mark on the adjustor chain that when lined up with the very edge of the axle nut in gear 2 is an indicator of correct cable tension & gear alignment, 'tis the reason the outer nut has the viewhole in it.
I thought the viewhole was so one could see if the rod was aligned with the axle end, as in http://workingoncycles.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/raleigh-twenty-sturmey-archer-gear.html

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yebbut the newer ones have a yellow marker to assist visibility.

Just had a look at the much newer and less hard worn 5 sp in the shed, the yellow marker is at the junction of rod and chain.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
DSC_0019~01.jpg

Maybe your next new one might.

Anyhow, the Brommy is changing nicely on its new cable now which was the point of the thread so I'm happy.

Top Bottom