Sturmey Archer 5 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I amble round the lanes of Worcestershire on a Pashley Roadster Sovereign bought new in 2009. For about two years now (yes I know, it does take me ages to fix stuff!) I've been constantly fiddle-faddling with the gear change adjuster, trying to get some sense out of the hub/trigger shift and get reliable changes. I had to replace the original plastic bodied shifter when it fell apart one day. the second one, also plastic bodied, worked OK for a while, but it wasn't long before I was back to the cable adjuster tweaking routine again.
Changes coming down the gears weren't too bad, but shifts back were very uncertain, particularly on the shift from first to second. This would often end up with a hub full of neutrals and scrambled testicles as my feet haplessly spun the temporarily useless pedals.
As a last resort before giving in and buying a bicycle with derailleur gears I rushed out and bought a new metal bodied gear shifter, a Sturmey Archer SLS50-T. I've just been for a thrash round my usual 16 mile route, including some fierce (for an older gentleman on a Pashley) hills, and I am delighted to report that my gear changing woes and tangled testes are things of history; the tweak has worked, and I can recommend this option to anyone else struggling with the same malady.

Man of iron: Bike of steel

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well done and now you can start enjoying your riding again

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
regularly replacing the chain helps too with the gear changes in these hubs, a new chain is dirt cheap and i seem to stretch mine in a couple of 1000 miles. thanks for the info though, i bought one of those thumb shifters a while ago (just for the aesthetics over the ugly plastic one) and haven't got round to fitting it…:sad:

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
Finally fitted my one! Wow it is so much better, that plastic one is rubbish bad of SA to even supply it. Did you find a neat way to put the gear numbers on the shifter by any chance?

OP
OP
Eribiste

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I can't say I've thought of trying to put an indicator on it. The diameter of the working bit is quite small too, so the numbers might end up a bit close together. I've got so I'm not so concerned over which gear I'm in, more what cadence I'm doing. Which all sounds a bit cycle techie speak really for something with only five gears to play with and supposed to ridden only in a gentlemanly manner!. I find myself mostly using 4th and 3rd on level roads. I have to grab 2nd and 1st on a punchy little hill on the road from Arrow Mill to the A441/A422 junction. This hill also requires the use of the odd expletive or two.
There's a steep little mother on the road up to Church Lench as well, those that ride these Worcestershoire lanes will probably know them.
The change now with the metal gear selector is nice and crisp, and so far is consistent too, so I'm very pleased I made the change. Plus, as you say, the appearance of it is much better as well.

Top Bottom