Sub £500 folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Rocket

Hi all, new to the folding bike game and was looking for some advice please.

I’ve got up to £500 to spend on a folder, which I’m going to use for short rides from home (no space for a full size bike, I’ve tried and failed!), so it doesn’t need to be the most compact, just smaller than a standard bike, so ideally 20” wheels.

I’m looking for new rather than used as I’m no expert so going for the easy option in terms of maintenance.

I’ve whittled it down to 2: Carerra Intercity and Raleigh Stowaway 2021
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/folding-bikes/carrera-intercity-folding-bike---grey-361318.html

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/raleigh/stowaway-2021-folding-bike-934180

Any preferences over one or the other? Anything else I should consider?
Thanks in advance

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Superficially, they appear to be very similar. Left to my own devices, I'd go for the Carrera as it's got a freehub rear wheel rather than a freewheel, and is a good bit cheaper. I suspect it's last years model, as I notice from the Halfords site it's not available for home delivery.
I'd have a look at the Decathlon range too, if you're anywhere near a Decathlon. HTH.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

That’s really interesting, thanks.

Halfords are due more stock in February so would appear to still be current stock, although well spotted on the rearhub difference.

Interestingly I had seen the Decathlon range, but looking back I’m not sure why I discounted it. Will add it back into the mix.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If I was buying new I would probably get a 20" wheel folder from Decathlon, as they are very good value in general for bikes and they don't sell outright junk.
As for maintenance, I would question the conventional wisdom that new bikes are lower maintenance and less hassle than old ones. In my own experience a lot of old bikes have only ever been lightly used and are not far off new condition two or three decades later. The average age of my bikes is around 30 years and I probably need to do less to them, and have less problems with them, than a lot of people who buy new bikes then pop up on here asking about various mechanical issues they are having with bikes that were supposedly assembled and checked before sale!

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

Have you looked at eBay for something second hand? Dahon are 20” and also worth looking at.
I’ve found looking at second hand a bit of a minefield, I’m sure it’s not as bad as I have it in my head but weary of buying in case they are nicked.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

If I was buying new I would probably get a 20" wheel folder from Decathlon, as they are very good value in general for bikes and they don't sell outright junk.
As for maintenance, I would question the conventional wisdom that new bikes are lower maintenance and less hassle than old ones. In my own experience a lot of old bikes have only ever been lightly used and are not far off new condition two or three decades later. The average age of my bikes is around 30 years and I probably need to do less to them, and have less problems with them, than a lot of people who buy new bikes then pop up on here asking about various mechanical issues they are having with bikes that were supposedly assembled and checked before sale!
Interesting point on maintenance. I’ve completely ruled out the second hand market up to now, will reconsider!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The last time I went past the Fudges shop in Kensal Green they didn't have a great deal of stock out the front, and most of what they did have were fairly obscure branded hybrids that I had never heard of before. I've never been to the Epsom one.

vickster

Legendary Member
In the past, the Epsom one had lots of stock whenever I went in (I used to work a 3 minute walk away so used from time to time).
however, most shops have big shortages currently, I doubt they’re any different.

Top Bottom