Sub-£600 road bike? Triban, Pinnacle, Merlin etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

josh.cycle

Hi all -

I am currently looking at buying a new road bike to upgrade from my fairly old and poor condition Triban 3 which has been great for me. I am looking at spending up to c£600 and have trawled through many forums/reviews so far to create a (potential) shortlist. It would be great to hear your thoughts and what you think is the best bike at this price range!

Current list:

Triban RC 500
Pinnacle Laterite 2
Merlin PR7 Sora
Boardman SLR8.6

Let me know what you guys recommend/have any other ideas!

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you tried any of them?

What's the spec on each (to save folks having to do all your Googling for you :smile: )? Rim brakes? Disc brakes?

Why have you discounted the very popular Giant Contend (which has a lifetime frame warranty?)

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve got the tribal rc520 and a pinnacle. Rc520 handles nicely on the 28s and feels solid. Really down to feel when you plonk yourself on the saddle. Hydraulic brakes are worth the money too
Have you had to remove the tyres yet as seems to be an issue with that model

Have you had to remove the tyres yet as seems to be an issue with that model
No !,,
yes I read same somewhere ...relates to them being tubeless ready ?

BigMeatball

Hi all -

I am currently looking at buying a new road bike to upgrade from my fairly old and poor condition Triban 3 which has been great for me. I am looking at spending up to c£600 and have trawled through many forums/reviews so far to create a (potential) shortlist. It would be great to hear your thoughts and what you think is the best bike at this price range!

Current list:
Triban RC 500
Pinnacle Laterite 2
Merlin PR7 Sora
Boardman SLR8.6

Let me know what you guys recommend/have any other ideas!

If the triban has done a good job for you, stick with the brand and buy the rc500

I rate decathlon stuff very highly. Have had 2 mountain bikes, 1 road bike and most recently a spin bike - always great value for money and generally a solid product.

DSK

I rate decathlon stuff very highly. Have had 2 mountain bikes, 1 road bike and most recently a spin bike - always great value for money and generally a solid product.

+1

I'd have no hesitation on getting a Triban from Decatlon.

For the Boardman, the classifieds are usually filled with SLR 8.6/8.9 bikes that seem like they have had little use so probably best to get a higher spec used one.

Top Bottom